Sort of a chia pet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

traceyrollin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I've got this crazy idea for a friend's 30g freshwater tank... She lets me take care of it because she has a new baby in her life and she doesn't really have time for her fish anymore... So I help her with its maintenance because she loves all animals and creatures.
Anyway... my point here... She happens to have a chia pet thingy that someone gave her but she's never used it. I googled it and found that it is safe for aquariums... but, the chia plant is not an aquatic plant, so, my thinking is to get some aquatic plant seeds that would resemble chia, and put those seeds on it instead... But what kind of plant should I sow on this thing? All suggestions welcome. I do plan to use a hairnet to secure the seeds until they root... She has a well established and fully cycled tank, she's had this tank for 3 years that I know of.
She has 1 large ciclid and a few diamond tetras and a dwarf pleco of some sort I've never seen before. Other than that she has gravel substrate and just a few decorations that are kinda boring. So I asked her if I could do some plants and stuff in her tank and maybe change her light and topper and she said of course! Do whatever you Like! I was like... COOL! She made my year. It is a 30g tall tank. Takes my whole arm to just barely reach the bottom of it... so any ideas at all. I also like to do plants that maybe the ciclid might munch on, and stuff that could grow some algae that would also become food for some fish I might add to her tank for her. Basically everything in this tank must be useful or beneficial to to fish, so that maintenance will be minimal... I only get to visit the tank about once a week and she is good about feeding but not over feeding her fish. She drops one frozen algae cube twice a week and feeds pellets daily. So let's out our heads together and come up with some ideas for this terra cotta thing otherwise known as a chia pet. It's just not going to have chia on It!

I've been trying to find again... I saw a tutorial on aquascaping where the artist used a blender and then slathered whatever plant that was all over. I know you can do that with terrestrial moss, but I haven't been able to find the tutorial again to figure out what plant it was.

I've been trying to find again... I saw a tutorial on aquascaping where the artist used a blender and then slathered whatever plant that was all over. I know you can do that with terrestrial moss, but I haven't been able to find the tutorial again to figure out what plant it was.

You can do it with both HC and Monte Carlo ;)

That's a cool idea!
I like the way HC looks... So far because I think It would just be neat to make it look like a chia... But java moss may actually be the easiest option. I'll research both and see what might have the best chance...

What's the lighting like? That would look more like chia, but it needs high lighting.
Well I intend to get a new light and topper for the tank well before I add any plants at all... what light she has now is just not worthy of much more than a night light.

Just an fyi... I plan on starting the sort of chia in my own tanks at home while I renovate my friends tank... so high light is not a problem for me.

The chia thing will take a lot of daily care while it gets started so I'm planning to bring it to my friends tank if I get it to working well, as more of a surprise gift for her birthday.

Also... I think it might be better to go buy a couple chia pets to practice with before I go screwing up my friends chia... so yeah there's that. I might try both ideas just to see which one works better in real life as opposed to theory.

Also... I think it might be better to go buy a couple chia pets to practice with before I go screwing up my friends chia... so yeah there's that. I might try both ideas just to see which one works better in real life as opposed to theory.

If your painting the HC or Carlo on I'd suggest dry starting it so it has some time to bond. Or you can mix it with coral glue and water and I think it sticks?? Not sure on that though

If your painting the HC or Carlo on I'd suggest dry starting it so it has some time to bond. Or you can mix it with coral glue and water and I think it sticks?? Not sure on that though
Good plan! I'll see about some coral glue and see what happens.

You can do it with both HC and Monte Carlo ;)
I just saw a photo of the Monte Carlo you mentioned.... I like it! I might try all three now, java moss, baby tears, and Monte Carlo. I like all three... So I guess I'm buying three chia pets then... lol

I just saw a photo of the Monte Carlo you mentioned.... I like it! I might try all three now, java moss, baby tears, and Monte Carlo. I like all three... So I guess I'm buying three chia pets then... lol

Yea I got it from a video too ;) a guy painted his hardscape of lava rock with monte. Looked amazing when it all grew out

Yea I got it from a video too ;) a guy painted his hardscape of lava rock with monte. Looked amazing when it all grew out
Can you still find that video? I have been trying to find similar ones but no luck.

Can you still find that video? I have been trying to find similar ones but no luck.

Can't find it sorry. It was a dry start method video on YouTube. He did a step by step and then blended the Monte Carlo and painted it on the rocks with a small paint brush

Can't find it sorry. It was a dry start method video on YouTube. He did a step by step and then blended the Monte Carlo and painted it on the rocks with a small paint brush
Ok thanks. I'll keep looking for it.

So had the day off today and my friend with the 30g had an algae bloom in her tank. So she asked me to come help her with it. I did of course, we did another huge water change, treated with algae fix, and changed her filter. She also decided she wanted a few more fish so once the tank cleared we went for some more fish. She opted for more tetras. And a small pleco.

Back
Top Bottom