Sort of a chia pet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
However, she had an old 30 gallon tank she had set up as a salt water and failed... But she gave me the tank and topper... just have to get a new filter, heater, and light, may get a bubble wall for it I don't know yet. Plants seem to like the bubble wall.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to clean a saltwater tank to make it back into a freshwater? Plus she gave me the sand in it, so... I'll need to clean the sand also if that's even possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to clean a saltwater tank to make it back into a freshwater? Plus she gave me the sand in it, so... I'll need to clean the sand also if that's even possible.

Ditch the sand and 1 part bleach 19 part water the tank. Then leave it in the sun for a day and should be good to go

When I get the 30g tall ready, I'm debating on what to put in it! So, we all know I love bettas. I'm NOT interested in breeding! Good God I've already got snails making babies all over the place so any suggestions as to what I should put in this thing?

The rasboras have a large variety of colors and such so I may look into those.

Ok the baby snail count is up over 115 now. My 10g is starting to just turn grey with snail shells all over place. They aren't big enough yet to know what color they will be but the breeding pair is a male pearl shell, and a female purple stripe. So we will see in a few more weeks what colors I end up with. My local pet store "Franklin Aquarium pet shop" has agreed to take the babies once they are about dime size. However with a second clutch of eggs getting ready to hatch and the mating pair still happily going at it, I'm sure I will be covered up in snails for a good long time until I can get my new tank ready and separate the male from the females. So if anyone at all would like some snails let me know. I'll give them away for free.

What kind?
They are apple snails, some people call them mystery snails. But these are without a doubt Apple's. The male is has about a 3.5 inch foot and the female is 3 inch foot. So they will get very big

Ah. Yes. Fantastic critters.
Yes they are. Very elegant but tend to be wrecking balls with live plants... mostly uprooting them. I love the adults I have but they reached breeding age and well... now I'm over run with baby snails.

I have two who go at it like teenagers but have yet to lay any eggs. Kind of strange.
Well I think it's a temperature thing. May also be a parameter thing too. All I know is they just kept going at it and they kept laying eggs. The first bunch didn't hatch but the second did and now the third.

They are still too small to get on camera, otherwise I'd post pictures of them.

I have embarked on this journey of raising baby apple snails, completely against my will. But, I've learned so much about them lately. For instance how rare a white pearl shell apple snail really is. I've caught and moved over 150 baby snails out of two successful clutches of eggs. The make adult these babies came from is a white pearl shell, the female is a common purple stripe shell. Most of the approximately 150 babies look like they will be either grey marbled shells or dark brown. And a few stripes ones. Of 150 babies, so far I've only found 2 that may end up being white pearl shells. That's some crazy odds. Just saying. But the larger ones from the first hatching are starting to show their colors, and they are mostly grey marbles. Which are kinda pretty. I can't wait for them to get more prominent colors as they get larger and more defined

Here is a picture of some of them just after feeding time, they will go to the surface and rest a while then go back down for more food in a little while. 20170118_235655.jpg

Back
Top Bottom