South american cichlids in 45 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm really liking thorichthys maculipinnis and Mixteco. You know where to find some? I think you are somewhere near me. Chicago suburbs?

I'm really liking thorichthys maculipinnis and Mixteco. You know where to find some? I think you are somewhere near me. Chicago suburbs?

I order all my fish online, the only thing I local is dither fish like buenes aires tetras from Petsmart. Wet spot always has quality fish and I've got half a dozen of my macullpinnis from there. Otherwise the only decent local place is Aquarium Adventure in Hoffman Estates which is hit or miss, but they've had each of them at one time or another.

Fish

Okay here's what the lfs had

Geophagus pelligrini and Surinam
Red terror
Green terror
Blue acara
Convict
Jurupari
Fire mouth
Salvini
Jack demp
Managuense
Texas
Nicaraquense
Severum

Any of these fit the bill? All are under $15 and that's everything besides parrots

Red terror
Green terror
Blue acara
Convict
Jurupari
Fire mouth
Salvini
Jack demp
Managuense
Texas
Nicaraquense
Severum

Any of these fit the bill? All are under $15 and that's everything besides parrots

What lfs has these? I'm looking for a couple of those. You said you are in the Chicago suburbs.

Ok thanks, it's not too far from where I live.

I'm in Crystal Lake, I'd save your gas! Their idea of red terrors are Cichlasoma urophthalmus not exCichlasoma festae which are the true terrors, not to mention their prices are ridiculously high.

Last edited:
Semi big would be ideal. Something big but not to big to eat my butterfly fish. He's the only tank mate right now, and I don't really need anything else. I was looking into severums?

My Severum is unusually aggressive, especially to my bigger Oscar. I've had many people say they aren't aggressive but that's not been my experience...

Red terror
Green terror
Blue acara
Convict
Jurupari
Fire mouth
Salvini
Jack demp
Managuense
Texas
Nicaraquense
Severum

I'd look at the Aequidens pulcher personally from that list, very cool and a under rated fish in my opinion. Or a pair of Hypsophrys nicaraguensis or Thoricthys meeki isn't a bad choices either but everything else is to large or aggressive. Sorry I just saw his today!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom