South or Central American build project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought it was manzanita. It's kind of a suspicious piece. Already brittle and maybe it's been sprayed or treated by a wedding planner with bedazzlment. Not sure that's a word outside of wedding talk. Some live plants definately.

I ended up removing the pieces I mentioned earlier, they literally crumbled in my hand. Never had that happen before with Manzanita.

Also, when I say the Wet spot is close, I mean 3hrs away. I travel to Portland from seattle often for work and to visit my old hometown.

That would be worth a day trip for me! I don't know if it reflects store stock but they do have online fish availablity listed on their website.

If I were a 7 year old I would like: (True facts:This is based on my fish selections as a 9 year old)

Kuhli loaches: Colorful, look like eels, and because there is no actual scientific definition of an eel, you can call them kuhli eels and not be technically wrong.

Marbled Hatchetfish: The flat tops are funny looking and endearing.

Cherry barbs: I picked odessa barbs, but those were psychotic little fin nippers. Cherry barbs are active and colorful like odessa barbs but also very peaceful to other fish.

Upside down catfish: Catfish that swim upside down. Maybe I was just easily entertained, but that's gotta be fun and novel for a kid.

Dwarf neon rainbofish: Super active and shimmery neon color.

Dumb moment is dumb. Sorry for going way off the SA/CA track xP Although hatchetfish still work! Apistos would be awesome too :)

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok I only read SA community, 48 gal and wet spot lol, but I can check out their list later( I'm due for an order) and I will come up with some sweet options.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've talked with the boss, and we've come up with a few ideas that need refinement for a healthy community.
This log book is for the boss to keep with the tank and chart her records and thoughts.
Keep in mind this is a raw list of options subject to change with great alternatives.
We just looked through the Wet spot gallery pics for these choices.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1442600404600.jpg
    1442600404600.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 1442600435612.jpg
    1442600435612.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 1442600467760.jpg
    1442600467760.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 1442600541596.jpg
    1442600541596.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 119
Sorry for the sideways pics.

Straightening things out here.

Attachments

• 1442602720034.jpg
    1442602720034.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 107
Because of possible issues I would pass on the adinoacara and definitely pass on the retroculus, they will wipe everything out if they spawn, they are crazy protective.
I think either the laetacara or keyholes with a trio of apistogramma would be the easiest route and I say trio of apistos because you have agassizi listed and males can be rough on a single female.

Thanks Gillie, you and Freakgecko have made it in the book.
It's been updated a bit.
Would the apistos torment keyholes? Is it one or the other?

Attachments

• 1442616011175.jpg
    1442616011175.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 119
Ooo, I'm in the book lol. The apistos will be fine with the keyholes, but if you go with agasizzi are planning to mix sexes, add a trio.

Here's a tip that few people know or ever remember, the nose of H. bleheri will be bright under good parameters and if it fades(after settling in of course) start checking parameters and change the water.

Last edited:
I agree with Gillie on the stock. Also, I know you said you'll be going to WetSpot, which is great. Make sure to always get the absolute best stock you can, it'll help on the long run. Always ask how long the fish have been there, ask what the quarantine procedures are like, diet, water parameters. Rummy nose can be finicky, so limiting the factors that put them at risk makes a world of a difference. Trust me, planning out a peaceful SA cichlids community makes a big difference, and will be so much easier in the long run!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'll be sure to document the wetspots procedures of quarantine, diet, water parameters, and length of time they've been captive there. I'm told across the street from the public store is the main warehouse used for breeding and newly WC fish. I'd like to tour that space.
I'll be passing through Portland next Saturday, so I'll be sure to stop in at the WS. My plan is to take alot of pictures of stock options, or whatever you guys want me to track down.

Is there a finite amount of pics I can post on AA next Saturday?

Is there a finite amount of pics I can post on AA next Saturday?

Yes there is, I just can't remember the limit. You can either use photobucket or another hosting of your choice or you can become a supporter for 15/yr and be unlimited ?

I did notice that they didn't have your pleco on their stock list. I also noticed you have the quantity of cories at 3, you'll want to bump that number to at least 6.

Last edited:
I'm probably a couple weeks out from the first addition to the tank. Should I add the 2 schools of 10 tetra(still undecided) and a pleco first?
On my way back home yesterday, I stopped in at the Wet Spot. Firstly, I can tell you they don't like picture taking in the store. So I made "the man" kinda paranoid initially. He was referred to as the man from another employee when I asked if it was OK to take pics. The man said it would be OK if I had good motives and they wouldn't be used for another purpose. Well, I only took a few bad pics cause I didn't want to put them on edge more than I already had haha. What an awesome store! They do it right. Every tank is perfect.
I explained my tank rough draft plan to an employee, and he gave me some Intel on their store. Their SA tanks are 6.8ph(draw on city water and well water part ot the year), they feed osi food products, brine shrimp, blood worms, surplus fish and all new arrivals are quarantined across the street before coming into the public store.
The guy also mentioned Dicrossus filamentosus, which they were currently out of. You guys have experience with these fish?
I'll go back to the store in a couple weeks when the tank is cycled.

Attachments

• 1443371414274.jpg
    1443371414274.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 1443371435730.jpg
    1443371435730.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 1443371448633.jpg
    1443371448633.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 98
They are sweet little dwarves, definitely go all male if you get them. I say go all male for 2 reasons 1 males will shoal if there are no females present and 2 they provide nothing but disappointment and frustration if you try to breed them.

They are sweet little dwarves, definitely go all male if you get them. I say go all male for 2 reasons 1 males will shoal if there are no females present and 2 they provide nothing but disappointment and frustration if you try to breed them.

Someone I know here bred d. maculatus and they are just over an inch at a year old. Plus she only has gotten like 4-6 off them to make it to this point. Very frustrating to breed.

Someone I know here bred d. maculatus and they are just over an inch at a year old. Plus she only has gotten like 4-6 off them to make it to this point. Very frustrating to breed.

Maculatus for some reason are surprisingly easy, but the females get real nasty. Filamentosa are the bane of my hobby, but one day I will get surviving fry.

You could do a pair of aequidens metae with larger tetras, like bleeding hearts. Then add a few porthole catfish or hoplo cats. Maybe add a single severum as the centerpiece

Back
Top Bottom