Stacking tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterbulla1108

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all I'm new here. My name is Peter and I have a question. Can I put a 75 gallon tank with 4 inches of sand in it, on top of my 150 gallon aquarium? Please help!!

Would the tank be empty, or filled with water? I’m leaning towards probably not, if it’s filled with water. Water weighs a lot, and you might have issues with that amount of weight being supported.

Would the tank be empty, or filled with water? I’m leaning towards probably not, if it’s filled with water. Water weighs a lot, and you might have issues with that amount of weight being supported.
The tank is empty with exception of the sand and a few plants. No water. It has a 1ft hole cut out with ramp that leads to water. The bottom glass has been replaced by wood which is lighter than the glass panel was. I just can't find any info on how much weight a 6ft tank can hold on it.

Okay, if the top tank is empty, this might be possible. If you look up “tank topper”, many people who keep terrestrial hermit crabs or reptiles use smaller tanks atop larger ones, provided the smaller one on top is not full of water or too much substrate. However, I’ve never seen a 75 on top of a 150. Perhaps you can use a substrate weight calculator to figure out how much the sand would weigh plus the 75 gallon tank itself?
https://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/gravel-rectangular-solid

Thankyou for the help. I tried the calculated system and if I'm correct then it's 220 lbs empty with sand and tank. I can't find anything on how much weight a 150 gallon tank can hold. I saw the YouTube videos, that's where I got the idea. No one seems to have one this size though. The 150 is a glass tank and it looks pretty thick. It's holding now. Just worried about long term.

Back
Top Bottom