Start of a New Tank Diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I could always just send them back to my LFS, i'm sure they wont mind.

If I do decide to get two females, do you think I'll need a QT? I've got loads of plants in there and a few DIY caves and a few other ornaments they can hide in.

Don't think my other fish should start eating them, as I have'nt ever hurd of Neons eating things not that much smaller then them. And the others I have are bottom feeders.

Also, do Male Guppys eat their own young? if they are not their own?

I've been told that one male molly to 3 females is a good ratio - but then expect them to breed like rabbits :wink:

I saw one of the calicos in the fake plants - the other two are probably still hiding... I'll keep an eye out for them throughout the day. Cute little buggers - all eyes and tail. :D

WATER UPDATE:
Ammonia @ <.1 ppm
Nitrites @ 0 ppm
Nitrates @ > 5 ppm

I'm encouraged by the ammonia staying low, especially with a goldfish in the tank. Still surprised I've seen zero nitrates since I started the tank right before Christmas, although it's possible that the Bio-Spira actually worked and it was just a group of diseased fish that caused all the problems. I will not be getting any more fish from the that store.

Oh yes, forgot to mention (probably out of subconscious fear of getting "I told you so!"s), I was very happy the owner of the LFS gave me that bottle of QuICK Cure... I noticed 3 or 4 white spots on the little black molly, panicked something fierce, but immediately started treatment. Overnight the spots were gone... will continue treating for several more days. No sign of ich on any other fish. :mrgreen:

Things are looking good :)

Wow, the fish must be pretty responsive and hardy then, keep up the hard work and all should go fine :D!

Yep Danio35 - 180 degrees :)

All three fry are still doing ok and seem to have enough places to hide out. :)

StyleUK - do a search to find out about the breeding habits of the different fish you want. I have several livebearers, and my research tells me they will eat their young, so having some floating plants will give the fry some coverage. I don't have any top floating plants, but I do have tall, spiky kinds and they seem to be able to hide in these just fine.

Also, if my fish are going to breed like rabbits, I won't be too upset if most get ingested otherwise I will need to buy more tanks... :wink:

Hehe, even though I can't bare to see any animal get eaten by another. I suppose it's alright if they start eating each other because I really cant afford to buy another tank. I've got loads of plants in my tank, they are all very tall most of them exceed the hight of the tank. So i'm sure they will be able to hide quite peacefuly.

LATEST UPDATE:

All fish are doing fantastically, and I discovered yet ANOTHER baby calico today, bringing the total of baby fish to 4.

Water levels appear to be fine, daughter is fascinated with them and my friends are all jealous I have something pretty like that to just stare at. It's interesting... I didn't realize just how relaxing having an aquarium in the room is. We've caught ourselves just getting lost watching them all swim around and the wave of bubbles in the back. Aquariums officially rock :mrgreen:

Just avoiding an APB (all points bulletin) Moxie! It's been 4 days and I was beginning to worry about you. Glad to hear everything is going so well. It's even better to know that Sage is still fascinated. 4 mollie fry...wow!

Keep the posts coming!

I am very Proud you stuck with it!! Good Job!!

Nice to hear your tank is doing well.

25 kudos for you! :multi:

Thanks guys!

I knew it had been a few days - I've been in the office this week, so not been at home to watch over the little critters throughout the day like I had been. But yeah, everything seems to be ok. I may have vacuumed too much gravel when I did a PWC over the weekend, so I think I will leave it for another two weeks or so before doing another vacuuming.

Also thinking of adding some cories. Decided that even though I really liked the pleco, I think I like seeing more movement in the tank :) Will wait another few days before adding them though.

Cool, I love Corys, best fish ever!!! :D!! I've got a great seethrough one its soo funny to watch as they dark around the tank and dart to the top :D if anyone wants to tell me why the splash out of the water would be much appriciated :D

2 cories added, happy as can be. Tankmates have no beef with them. They do go a little crazy and "blitz" for a few moments - swim like mad. Then they find a nice little spot to relax in.

Also spotted the first swordtail baby this evening - all orange with a little spot of black on the tail. Wonder if he'll last. The other 4 babies are growing quite well and are swimming more freely among the adults. They are actually look like tiny fish now, instead of a big pair of eyes with a tail. :)

I expect a small spike of ammonia with the recent additions, but hope to keep it under control with PWCs - I'll keep an eye out and keep testing every day.

Woot! Happy Tank! :mrgreen:

Hey Moxie, glad to hear things have turned around for you. If I were you I would wait until you're sure the tank is completely cycled, then think about adding a couple more cories. Cories appreciate being in schools from what I understand. Good luck with everything and keep us posted! 8) :D

My cories don't mind being alone, my albino just hangs ariund with my other species or hangs with my pleco.

Also spotted the first swordtail baby this evening

Its not fair!!! I want some babies :(

Looks like i'll have to wait for my new guppys :D

Back
Top Bottom