Start up cycling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yonkerj3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am setting up a tropical freshwater.

This is my childhood tank and I have been away from it for a few years. I have checked it for leaks and it is good.

Now that I am an adult and a little more patient I think that I would like to try to make the tank hospitable for my fish before dumping them into new water; as I did in my youth. I have done some reading on initial cycling for new tanks and feel pretty confident to approach it in this fashion.

However, I have seen some blog posts and comments that say that just starting out with fish is just as good.

Thoughts?

Some more info:

46 gallon tank.
Penguin 350B filter.
Live plants.
Marineland powerhead.

Thank you all in advance.

Choosing your type of cycle basically depends on how patient you are. A fishless cycle can be done in as little as 2 weeks, so that's 2 weeks without any fish in it at all which drives people crazy. On the other hand a fish in cycle is a super lightly stocked tank with a bit more maintenance than a fishless cycle, the downside is it can take up to 2 months to finish.

I cycled my 15 column with 5 danios and had no issues at all.. Took them back to the LFS when I was done... IMO danios would be the fish to use IF you decided to do a fish in cycle. I'm currently doing a fishless cycle and it it is awesome...

Thanks a lot. Starting a fishless cycle with plants tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom