starter fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gboy66 said:
Then just get a puffer! They are cool, and some dot need fw

Puffers are not good starter fish because they need a specific diet. You have to supplement different things and snails to keep their teeth from growing too long.

maxwellag said:
Puffers are not good starter fish because they need a specific diet. You have to supplement different things and snails to keep their teeth from growing too long.

Look up pea puffers. Alot less maintanence

Pink/white stuff is coralline algae. Just get a paper towel wet with vinegar and lay it on the affected area. Leave the paper towel on there for a few minutes and it will come right off.

Look up pea puffers. Alot less maintanence
I would disagree with that. They're not the easiest fish to feed, and when you get them eating they are extremely messy eaters. Ours used to leave half-corpses of snails laying around the tank. That kind of stuff is going to foul your water quickly so you'd have to remove uneaten food ASAP.

On a side note, are you planning to use the HQI? That is a LOT of light for a 28 gallon FW, even for a high tech planted tank. You're going to have an algae factory on your hands if you use that HQI, I'm afraid.

severum mama said:
Pink/white stuff is coralline algae. Just get a paper towel wet with vinegar and lay it on the affected area. Leave the paper towel on there for a few minutes and it will come right off.

I would disagree with that. They're not the easiest fish to feed, and when you get them eating they are extremely messy eaters. Ours used to leave half-corpses of snails laying around the tank. That kind of stuff is going to foul your water quickly so you'd have to remove uneaten food ASAP.

On a side note, are you planning to use the HQI? That is a LOT of light for a 28 gallon FW, even for a high tech planted tank. You're going to have an algae factory on your hands if you use that HQI, I'm afraid.

Sure theyr dirty, but arent all puffers? I just based off of the fact that you dot have to manually trim their teeth

Gboy66 said:
Sure theyr dirty, but arent all puffers? I just based off of the fact that you dot have to manually trim their teeth

First of all, you never mentioned that in your opinion only one type of puffer (pea) is easy to keep. You just said puffer. But like I and Severum Mama said, all puffers need a special diet and are messy eaters. They are also very picky, and typically only eat live food. Second, unless you feed the puffer something crunchy like snails or freeze dried krill, their teeth WILL grow too much, and if they get too long they can puncture the roof of their mouth, and go into their brain. Obviously this would kill them.

maxwellag said:
First of all, you never mentioned that in your opinion only one type of puffer (pea) is easy to keep. You just said puffer. But like I and Severum Mama said, all puffers need a special diet and are messy eaters. They are also very picky, and typically only eat live food. Second, unless you feed the puffer something crunchy like snails or freeze dried krill, their teeth WILL grow too much, and if they get too long they can puncture the roof of their mouth, and go into their brain. Obviously this would kill them.

What? So what i suggested pea puffers, whats the big deal? Ya, i know they need snails and i know they can be messy. So what? If thats one of the only fish in a large tank, i think it would be relativly easy to care for.

Ya my brother used the hqi but the algie wasnt that bad you just have to clean it once in a while

Right, because your brother kept it as a reef tank and the corals need that light. I keep reef and freshwater and I can promise you 1000% that you will have algae issues if you run an HQI on a freshwater setup that isn't a high tech planted tank.

Gboy66 said:
What? So what i suggested pea puffers, whats the big deal? Ya, i know they need snails and i know they can be messy. So what? If thats one of the only fish in a large tank, i think it would be relativly easy to care for.

Easy to care for: explain. Having the feeding issues affects this greatly. If a puffer behaves like SM's did, then you will have water quality problems real fast. Even in a 30 gallon, it will still cause issues. I don't know about you, but if I was going into fish keeping for the first time, I wouldn't want to be doing water changes more often than once a week.

maxwellag said:
Easy to care for: explain. Having the feeding issues affects this greatly. If a puffer behaves like SM's did, then you will have water quality problems real fast. Even in a 30 gallon, it will still cause issues. I don't know about you, but if I was going into fish keeping for the first time, I wouldn't want to be doing water changes more often than once a week.

Well i think of it as, one fish. So you dont have to worry much about other fish making messes and pooping. Therefore doing that one 30-40% water change per week isnt bad at all. Puffers are extremly personable and great fish, so id go for it. As for being a first time keeper, just do a bit more research on the topic and it will be easy :)

DP easy to keep. I confirmed a report from a few veteran DP keepers never worrying about overgrown teeth. I kept a DP for a few months and only fed him soft food. I tried feeding them snails but she only bite at the meat. No signs of overgrown teeth. Most people feed them snails since they are convenient and easy to keep.

Change 50% every week. Feed them worms, raw shrimp, snails, or blood worms something nice. Then clean up after them when you see visible waste. They are not usually picky eaters unless kept in stressful conditions (ie overcrowded tank or with little decor) or if they are not used to eating the food you are offering.

Hello, I have a quick question here before chiming in with any other stocking thoughts. You said the tank is a 29g nano cube, but could you please also tell us what the dimensions of the tank are? Certain species of fish have very different needs when it comes to horizontal versus vertical swimming space. :)
Honestly, if you are willing to do water changes on a regular basis, then there are tons of fish out there that would make an awesome tank. :) Just research any species you really like and you can decide if you think you will be able to provide for it properly. We here on AA can certainly help with that.
Did you read the guides Mumma.of.two posted about cycling? They are very good. :)

Back
Top Bottom