Starting 10 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MSHokie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want to start a 10 gal freshwater tropical tank. I have a TopFin 10 gallon starter kit and am going from there. I have done a lot of research and I think have the whole cycling concept down.
I am looking for some pointers for fish and plants. I'd like fish that are active and colorful, but pretty hardy (something that'll be fun for my 5-year-old to watch, but won't go belly-up right away if I mess up).
If I get schooling fish, how many is it best to start with? I don't want to put in too many at once, but I don't want the fish to get lonely.
How about plants? I'd like at least one real plant. What do I have to do to keep the plant happy? My substrate is gravel.
Is an airstone necessary? My kit didn't come with one, so I am wondering if I need one right away.

If you keep lots of plants no airstone is needed.
Well, first you need to make sure you start your cycling, during that period of a month (maybe less). You need to add ammonia for the bacteria.

You should begin with anubis, java fern, java moss, (google some more). Get a piece of drift wood or stones to make it look natural.
Look at many other aquariums to get inspirtation.

For schooling fish (when cycle is done) I recommend tetra's. And get some shrimps they'll help you clean the algae.

I think danios are generally bulletproof, as are white cloud minnows. You can get both around here as feeders (meaning real cheap) and since they're so hardy, you probably won't lose that many. Alot of times they're used to cycle tanks (I wouldn't recommend it) I think 5 is a pretty good number, and you want some sort of bottom feeder. Cories are usually the first choice, but you could also go with some loaches (khulis come to mind). Both are pretty hardy, but require a cycled tank. They are also schoolers.

I want to start a 10 gal freshwater tropical tank. I have a TopFin 10 gallon starter kit and am going from there. I have done a lot of research and I think have the whole cycling concept down.
I am looking for some pointers for fish and plants. I'd like fish that are active and colorful, but pretty hardy (something that'll be fun for my 5-year-old to watch, but won't go belly-up right away if I mess up).
If I get schooling fish, how many is it best to start with? I don't want to put in too many at once, but I don't want the fish to get lonely.
How about plants? I'd like at least one real plant. What do I have to do to keep the plant happy? My substrate is gravel.
Is an airstone necessary? My kit didn't come with one, so I am wondering if I need one right away.

For a starter fish, schooling wise, I think a small school of around 5 white clouds would be good for a 10G tank. I have 10 in my 20G long and they are very active and have gotten great color when they have grown.

For plants, I suggest research some low-tech plant setups. They require minimal work and the plants are hardy. Here is a link that should help you out.
Setting-up your first planted tank, by Curt Dunaway

For having the air pump, it kind of depends. If you have fish in there and it looks like they are struggling to breathe, coming up for air a lot or breathing hard, put one in. If you have live plants I wouldn't use it because it pushes the CO2 from the fish out of the water which the plants feed off of, and in return the plants produce oxygen for the fish.

Another fish selction tip, try to aim for the levels of the tank fish will swim in, all fish will swim everywhere but some fish generally stay in one area. You can get a pleco or a few small bottom feeder fish for the bottom level, some school fish for mid level, and maybe some hachets or a few dwarf gouramis for the top.

You just don't want to overstock so just give us and idea on a stocking list and we will help you aim for the right amount and right combo.

Back
Top Bottom