Starting a hex tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leehunter

Aquarium Advice Regular
HI guys

First post here, but have been looking at the site since I started my other tank.

I have had my main 30 gallon going for some time with 2 fancies in it and a few danios. That's been going for 8 months, no deaths and fully cycled,

Now i am about to start a small hex tank from clear seal (believe 27-30litres) for my study and would like some ideas of what would be best to stock with, not fussed whether FW or Tropical.

It's approx 40cm tall and about 25cm wide, I have a small eheim aqua ball filter for it and a small heater if I go down the tropical route. All suggestions welcome and an idea of stocking level would be great, I know I cannot do a great deal with it, but want something more than shrimps or a solitary betta?

Thanks in advance

Lee

Hm, that's about 8 gallons, which itself is fairly small but a hex tank limits horizontal swimming room for even nano fish like ember tetra or chili rasbora. I'm really not sure what you could put in there besides a betta, if anything. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Well, I am very new to aquarium keeping in general--only have had my tank since the beginning of September, so people may not like my fish selection, but it's working for me and my fish are healthy. I have 3 glofish, 2 Corydoras, and a blue gourami in a 10 gallon tank. They get along wonderfully. The gourami is the largest fish, and is supposed to max out in length around 4 inches. He's already 3 inches long and swims around happily with the other fish. Corydoras like schools, but my two seem perfectly happy with the two of them. Good luck with stocking!

Hm, that's about 8 gallons, which itself is fairly small but a hex tank limits horizontal swimming room for even nano fish like ember tetra or chili rasbora. I'm really not sure what you could put in there besides a betta, if anything. Maybe someone else will chime in.
I tend to agree. Thats a bit of an awkward size for stocking. I think 6 ember tetras or else 6 chili rasbora maybe with a single Endler's livebearer male as a centerpieces. But, I am not totally sure how happy they would be. Maybe a lone dwarf puffer, but again, I am not positive about the space.

I would say no schooling fish, as most micro-fish should have at least 12-15 inches of swimming romm horizontally and that's only around 9 inches. I would say either a dwarf puffer, a betta, or perhaps endler's livebearers.

I would say butterfly barbs, tiny fish that tend to hover, get a trio 1male to 2 female. No heater with this guys also. They breed easily enough but in very small quantities. They're like 10 bucks a peice around here but trade in value of fry should make up for it. Or perhaps those cloneing cray fish?

Thanks, endless look quite colourful and that's what I was looking for. According to the spec it's about 9 gallons so that may help a little, gonna avoid goldfish as someone stated as that's what I have in my main tank.

I would love a betta due to their lovely tails, but I would want a couple of tank mates for him, but yes you're quite right horizontal swimming space is limited.

Any other views please as the tank is cycling at the moment..

Thanks, endless look quite colourful and that's what I was looking for. According to the spec it's about 9 gallons so that may help a little, gonna avoid goldfish as someone stated as that's what I have in my main tank.

I would love a betta due to their lovely tails, but I would want a couple of tank mates for him, but yes you're quite right horizontal swimming space is limited.

Any other views please as the tank is cycling at the moment..
They actually said "glofish" not "goldfish." And your tank isn't big enough for glofish anyway.
If you want Endler's, you can look at your lfs in the feeder guppy tank. Stores often sell Endler's in there (a color variant called black bar Endler's) because that color variant is very common and the reproduce like mad. So, unless you want tons and tons of fry, I recommend just getting males. Also, there are other color variants of Endler's for sale as well, but most of them are bit higher. You can look in the classifieds section on here to see pictures of others or to see what people have for sale. :)

Oops you're right, that's me reading through the posts too quick

Any more suggestions from anybody, cycling is going ok, but all your experience would be appreciated.??????

Personally, i'd do a betta, maybe a crowntail? And you could have shrimp(s) or a snail, nerite? Mystery? Also, to make up for lack of tank mates, live plants!!! Bacopa, ludwigia, crypts, and dwarf hairgrass are some examples. Bacopa and ludwigia grow to the surface, and crypts are mid height, and hairgrass is self described, hope i helped!!!
Ps. Bettas love live plants

Thanks for the reply.

I wanted something more than a betta . I would prefer a school of something and maybe a snail or 2 ?

But would still like more views, the more colourful fish the better?

Tank cycle is nearly completed and all level ops, still undecided if i should use as a tropical tank or not? Anymore ideas for stocking??

Back
Top Bottom