Starting a tank for a Science Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love jsoong's plant idea! I was about to suggest a similar one myself. I know I'd love to see the results. Plus, it'd be way cheaper and faster, and more ethical, I'm sure.

Or you could do something with snails. I'm sure a pet store would give you a few of those pesky snails. You could divide them into 2 tanks and do a food experiment with them. I'm sure people would love to know if certain types of food make pest snails reproduce faster. Or you could compare reproduction rates of species, etc etc.

Better than that.. the tank will get some air from teh atmosphere and needs to, as plants at night need o2 also. but if you use a lot of plants.. medium light.. and some co2 .. (you can do it yourself with yeast, a soda bottle and tubing) then you will be able to get what is known as pearling... which is o2 bubbles rising from the plants themselves and sitting on the leaves.

the complication here is that you need to cycle the tank before you add any fish.. so if you want fish in the tank too, you will need to wait several weeks to put them in.. but plants can go in right away.

go over to the planted tank forum and start asking questions about the simplest set up you can manage that will induce pearling.. a true low light tank, won't.. but then again that brings to mind a different experiment.. the difference between a tank that grows algae and one that doesn't. I have a low light tank where i keep three dwarf african frogs. The tank doesn't have a speck of algae, because even though I don't have enough photosynthesis going on to cause pearling, the plants use up all of the "nutrients" ie waste, that the algae would live on.. and essentially starve the algae out..

YOu can show how higher life forms take over from the single celled organisms simply by having an algae free tank... this way you don't have to invest in co2 or even high light.. I have a cheap 2.5 gallon tank that came wiht a little internal filter and an 8 watt bulb.. I filled it full of anubias and moss, and a little bit of other cuttings to see what will live and three months later, no algae!!!

Easier experiment, cheaper to run, and really shows a lot about how ecosystems mature...

go on over to the planted tank forum and learn ;0 )

Blazeherd2306 said:
Make sure you pick hardy fish (please no goldfish) because if the fish dies your experiment could be disqualified.

disqualified? not if he picks out a similar looking fish...

you could do something like an algae eater test. get like a 20 gallon tank, and split it in 3's. get some sort of a pleco, a few otos, and shrimp?

Back
Top Bottom