Starting My First Saltwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaySpann29

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am thinking about starting a small saltwater tank, 10-12 gallons due to limited space. I know that small for a saltwater tank but I've heard it can be done. Is there a good tank recommendation to start with?! Should I get a kit or would I just be better off buying everything separate?!

What I would do is buy it all separate. U need 10 lbs of sand. A heater, thermometer, if u way it to be a fowlr then about 8 ish lbs of dry or live rock. Some type of filter.( if you are going with a filter I would go with one rated for 30gal. It will move enough water so you don't have to have a power head. And a light system. For the lights you can get a small hood for the tank. I recommend a t5 ho florescent bulb. A hydrometer or refractometer. And salt. That's about all you need beside the test kit. Depending on prices you are looking around 100 - $200 for the initial set up. I would not recommend a starter kit.

Back
Top Bottom