Starting my new 55 gallon excitement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shacker66

Aquarium Advice Activist
Excited to get my 55 gallon going. I have to drive 70 miles to the nearest pet store for fish and supplies. Ordered most of them but needed plants and substrate.
Fell in love with a angelfish so I bought the 4 left. Put in an empty aquarium for now they are pretty small so they will be fine (I hope) until they can go into their final home.

I am going to take some gravel out of my oldest aquarium and as much water as I can out of my 30 gallon.
Can I take some from my 10 and 20?
When I put the baby Mollies in there how big should they be? They are now roaming free in the 30 with the adults and Dwarf Gourami's without hassle. But who knows with the Angelfish.

I bought the same substrate as the 20 gallon Sam at Petsmart (one of the ones who knows her stuff) said it would take a week for the cloud to go away. I told her it was longer than a month for me.
I am hoping a good rinse will help. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on the new build! Exciting indeed!

A bacterial bloom will clear up on its own.

A bacterial bloom is what got me yo a place of knowing sooooo much more about tanks and that there is a "cycle". "Old school" we did fish in cycle and didn't understand what was happening!

So many people say a week and it is gone, not the case for me. It was like 21 days... of swirling, nearly pearly, milky fog water. Can't recall exactly the number of days. Also do not change filter pads. Fish were fine.

Up the aeration - you can add an air pump to bubble extra air, or if you have a HOB, lower the water a couple inches and the water will splash into the tank more increasing aeration. I used to be able to deal with the splashy noises but no longer, I use an air pump if necessary.

Angelfish will likely see smallish mouth sized fish fry as food... it is just how they live their life, eating smaller things. My full grown ones were slurping up full grown Neon Tetras :(

Excited to get my 55 gallon going. I have to drive 70 miles to the nearest pet store for fish and supplies. Ordered most of them but needed plants and substrate.
Fell in love with a angelfish so I bought the 4 left. Put in an empty aquarium for now they are pretty small so they will be fine (I hope) until they can go into their final home.

I am going to take some gravel out of my oldest aquarium and as much water as I can out of my 30 gallon.
Can I take some from my 10 and 20?
When I put the baby Mollies in there how big should they be? They are now roaming free in the 30 with the adults and Dwarf Gourami's without hassle. But who knows with the Angelfish.

I bought the same substrate as the 20 gallon Sam at Petsmart (one of the ones who knows her stuff) said it would take a week for the cloud to go away. I told her it was longer than a month for me.
I am hoping a good rinse will help. Any ideas?
Congratulations dear. Mollies can work with Angelfish but remember they are live bearers so any fry will be chased and eaten by angelfish. Moreover mollies can sometimes become nippy when there aren't enough females in tank but I think you should be fone since its a 55 gallon. Mollies don't grow so big in freshwater. They later need brackish or saltwater to grow so big and live a longer life. So, you can try to keep mollies with angelfish and I can totally understand that you fell in love with angels. They are very beautiful and elegant fish. You must also check the platinum angelfish. Looks so cool. Pure white with beautiful fins and textures. Platinums are my most favourite angels and they are not expensive either like the altums which are expensive and sensitive breed.

IMG_0765.jpg
Have to fix other light. Want to get LED lights so I have an old 30 gallon light on one side for now. I has a led that goes on top that I need to do some work on too. So far no leaks.

So I fixed the light and the hood waiting for my sister so I can put it on being heavy wood and long it would be hard to do alone.
Question for now I found cheap fluorescent grow tubes with 15 Watts each equaling 30 Watts will that be enough

IMG_0768.jpg
So this is the hood. I am thinking I don't have enough light for my plants. I was eyeing a LED light about 3' wondering if I take the hoods on top off and put the LED light inside the lid of this hood would that work? I think the light had over 4,000 lumens. Too much??

IMG_0775.jpg
Well here it is.
I am waiting for my heater. And replys on the light situation and I am in good.

It looks like you have low light plants??? If so, I'd start at 7 hours a day on the light schedule as a good medium. Adjust the time if you need to as you go. Dose a liquid fertilizer once a week. Thrive is a good product.

Not necessary but if you like you can use flourish by Seachem. Helps plants keep healthy. I love this product.

Now [emoji22] 3Angelfish 2 German Blue Ram and 2 Golden Ram Chilids is the idea for now. More Rams when I can afford them I probably get another Angelfish when I can get down there. Then the Mollies when big enough but I have a home for 6 of them and World of fish will take them also.
I need some kind of catfish I want Pandas but am eyeing some upside down ones what do you think?

Back
Top Bottom