Starting my Tank Rehab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoneFishing

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I'm not really asking for any tips, think I have what I need to do. But as always feel free to chime in.

2011/04/24 - tank looks like poo, algae everywhere. Can't do pwc, I'm out of water conditioner. Is there another way to condition water without chemicals?

I know the pic is a few days old but I will continue to post everyday every other day with pics.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110427_191339.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110427_191339.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 124
  • ForumRunner_20110427_191418.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110427_191418.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 107
  • ForumRunner_20110427_191456.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110427_191456.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 102
  • ForumRunner_20110427_191535.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110427_191535.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 94
Gotta get that water conditioner unless your on well water. It's worth the wait. When you do get more though, look into prime. It's good stuff.

Gotta get that water conditioner unless your on well water. It's worth the wait. When you do get more though, look into prime. It's good stuff.

wow, quick reply! yea i would have to use tap without conditioner and I'm not riskin that plus the fish would be awful. I'm getting conditioner on Saturday (earliest I can).

is this the Prime you were talking about?
Aquarium Water Quality & Conditioners: Seachem Prime Water Conditioner

also this is the conditioner I use
Aquarium Water Quality & Conditioning: AquaSafe Water Conditioner

would I need both or can I get one without the other?

Boiling water will remove the chlorine, but it also removes the oxygen so you'd have to put an airstone in the bucket while the water comes back down to a good temp. Also, if you just leave the water sitting out for about 24 hours the chlorine should evaporate.
However, I would just wait until I could get some water conditioner if your parameters are good. Either conditioner is fine.

Randi said:
Boiling water will remove the chlorine, but it also removes the oxygen so you'd have to put an airstone in the bucket while the water comes back down to a good temp. Also, if you just leave the water sitting out for about 24 hours the chlorine should evaporate.
However, I would just wait until I could get some water conditioner if your parameters are good. Either conditioner is fine.

Thanks for the reply! I'll probably just wait considering we have a 130lbs mastiff that would drink every drop of water I sit out lol.

GoneFishing said:
wow, quick reply! yea i would have to use tap without conditioner and I'm not riskin that plus the fish would be awful. I'm getting conditioner on Saturday (earliest I can).

is this the Prime you were talking about?
Aquarium Water Quality & Conditioners: Seachem Prime Water Conditioner

also this is the conditioner I use
Aquarium Water Quality & Conditioning: AquaSafe Water Conditioner

would I need both or can I get one without the other?

The first one is what I'm talking about.

2011/04/28 - For those interested in my thread, I ran my weekly test today and got good numbers back..
pH 8.0
NitrIte 0ppm
NitrAte 5.0-10ppm
Ammonia 0ppm..

So far still good, I am starting to think my issues are cause of poor house keeping rather than an issue with the tank.

Saturday is getting close and I'm gonna go with the Prime conditioner. Coming home with a helpful cleaning crew (hopefully) so they can help me out. Also adjusted the temp, walked by tonight and saw it at 78,80,82 (all highlighted). So I wanna get it more around 76-78. Anyhow just wanted to update this. Will probably post again on Saturday... bye for now

Unless you have caustic levels of chlorine and hyper-sensitive fish, then small water changes even without "conditioner" shouldn't be a problem. I have done some that way, and know many others who do too.

One kind of has to weigh- Which is worse: don't do a needed water change, or a little chlorinated water w/o conditioner?

Awesome news!

So awesome news today!! I get home from work and my wife informs me that she ordered my new filter today!! It's the Hagen AquaClear Power Filter 50! So stoked, and she got next day shipping! I so cannot wait to get that bad boy going in my tank!
:dance:

I'm just gonna leave my old filter in there for a month and just run both at the same time so I don't remove anything needed.

Just got my new filter! It's up and running in the tank.. minus the carbon filter of course.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110430_095902.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110430_095902.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom