Starting to plan a S.A. Cichlids tank - need stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you do a water change/substrate cleaning, I'm guessing, keep the gravel vacuum away from sand too, right?

-Mak

Just hover above the sand and swirl the syphon. The waste will lift but not the sand.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Awesome advice, man. Thanks! I'm looking at sand right now. Going to clear the right side of my tank and separate the gravel and sand with some rocks. I'll post a picture once it's done.

-Mak

I think this tank would be great for discus and/or angelfish. I would put 8 discus the 2 plecos and a school of about 8-12 diamond or cardinal tetras. It might be a bit overstocked, but if your filter is good and you don't slack on water changes your fish will be fine.

I thought about that but I have a plan in mind and I want to go with the Geo. Tapajas, Bandit, Blue Acara, and Red Severum.

Discus really need a planted tank to thrive and I'm pretty much over the planted tank.

Yeah good point. I've seen wild ones in just rocks and wood, but there's not much plants where discus live in the wild besides algae and the occasional floating weed

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Discus really need a planted tank to thrive and I'm pretty much over the planted tank.

This is far from true, in fact few plants can actually thrive at the temps that discus require and 98% of tank raised dicus don't even know what a plant is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Pretty much every Beta is tank bred and have no idea what a plant is, yet they respond and thrive best in a dedicated and planted tank. So tank bred vs. wild caught is irrelevant.

As for temperature, ideal temp for a discus is 79 degrees to 86 degrees F. Ideal temp for a Echinodorus amazonicus (Amazon Sword) is 72 deg to 82 deg F, as are Cryptocoryne crispatula, Cabomba caroliniana, and Hygrophila angustifolia. Granted, they with do better closer to 76 degrees F, but a tank maintained at 80 degrees would be fine.

All that being said, aside from discuss being really pretty fish, they're pretty much the most boring fish in aquaria. Just personal preference. They barely move and dedicating my 4 foot long tank to fish that aren't that active is not what I want to do.

Also, they are finicky eaters and require a great deal more of care that borders on frustrating, in order for them to thrive. I play golf, so I have already reached the limit of things that I enjoy which frustrate me.

Thanks though.

I am going to stock with the Guianacara sp. affin. geayi, the Geophagus rio Tapajos, red spotted Severum, and either a blue Acara or a combination of the newer breed of electric blue acaras (which my LFS, is trying to get) and more Guiancaras... I REALLY love that fish! He's got so much personality!

-Mak

I am going to stock with the Guianacara sp. affin. geayi, the Geophagus rio Tapajos, red spotted Severum, and either a blue Acara or a combination of the newer breed of electric blue acaras (which my LFS, is trying to get) and more Guiancaras... I REALLY love that fish! He's got so much personality!

-Mak

Guianacara really belong in groups of 4-6 or larger, they're highly social. Also, geayi are not seen in the pet trade. Like geophagus surinamensis, they hail from French Guyana, who do not import, so geayi are typically another species, probably stergiosi

Good choice, but I think you've got discus wrong. They are some of the most interesting aquarium fish out there. They are as smart as a 3 year old human! They watch you cross the room, watch TV, learn tricks, and they will eat from your hand. They are not too finicky with their diet. Most tank bred discus can thrive on a quality flake food diet. Still, hope you try them some day and you'll see they're not too hard to keep.

Good choice, but I think you've got discus wrong. They are some of the most interesting aquarium fish out there. They are as smart as a 3 year old human! They watch you cross the room, watch TV, learn tricks, and they will eat from your hand. They are not too finicky with their diet. Most tank bred discus can thrive on a quality flake food diet. Still, hope you try them some day and you'll see they're not too hard to keep.

Why is it that you only recommend discus? Do you actually have experience with discus?! It just seems like every thread you post on, you throw discus out of left field....

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They're just awesome. I spend about 20 mins staring at them whenever I go to my LFS. One time I even watched some spawn there! I found out they ate the fry though. When I think of good South American cichlid I either think angel discus or geo. Dunno, just an obsession. I don't have experience, but I've seen them in a parent's friends house watching TV. Otherwise goes are the best. Always wanted some of those.

-Mak

That sounds like such a lovely tank. I'm interested in a similar set up. Good luck. :)

Yeah good point. I've seen wild ones in just rocks and wood, but there's not much plants where discus live in the wild besides algae and the occasional floating weed

Where are you coming up with your info ??? You honestly have no clue about these fish.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

This is very false info.

This is far from true, in fact few plants can actually thrive at the temps that discus require and 98% of tank raised dicus don't even know what a plant is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is very true info.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Back
Top Bottom