Starting up a 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crazyhermitcrab

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am setting up a new 55 gallon tank. I had some ideas but would love Imput.

Stocking ideas:
-10 Endlers (They have taken over my Pond)
-6 guppies
-4 platys
-3 swordtails
-3-5 bettas

I also want a "centerpiec" fish. Any ideas?

I would like to do a fish in tank cycle. (What fish are hardy) Can I use the goldfish I used to cycle my pond? (Oviously not all of them)
I can seed the filter with media from my pond.

Well just a suggestion is to only keep female bettas in a group, more then one male can be a possible blood bath. As for centrepiece fish angelfish, gourami's, and dwarf cichlids can make very nice centrepiece fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As machotaco pointed out you can't keep that many bettas in your tank. Might be able to get away with two if you give them both enough territory.

Personally I would ditch the bettas and add a couple of angelfish. They would likely snack on some of the endlers when they got larger but I would consider that population control for such a prolific little fish.

The platys should be fairly hardy. I would use those for your cycle.

As machotaco pointed out you can't keep that many bettas in your tank. Might be able to get away with two if you give them both enough territory.

Personally I would ditch the bettas and add a couple of angelfish. They would likely snack on some of the endlers when they got larger but I would consider that population control for such a prolific little fish.

The platys should be fairly hardy. I would use those for your cycle.

I meant female bettas, they need to be in odd numbers that's why I said 3 or 5. Would an angelfish hurt my guppies? I don't really mind them eating fry, but I don't want anything to hurt my breeders. I also don't want my endlers to die.
Oh that's great I have tuns of platys.

Well just a suggestion is to only keep female bettas in a group, more then one male can be a possible blood bath. As for centrepiece fish angelfish, gourami's, and dwarf cichlids can make very nice centrepiece fish.

Yah I know the thing about female bettas. I have 5 together in my 10 gallon. The only tank i have males and females together is in my 1,099 gallon.
What type of dwarf chcilid?

Would an angelfish hurt my guppies? I don't really mind them eating fry, but I don't want anything to hurt my breeders. I also don't want my endlers to die.

At first they wouldn't but once they reached full size they will eat them.

You will have similar problems with any larger, centerpiece fish. Fish eat anything small enough to fit in their mouths and endlers are tiny.

You have a 1,099 gal, whoa... I'd recommend german blue ram pair, cockatoo apistogramma pair, apistogramma agasizzi pair or kribensis pair. All beautiful fish that can make an aquarium go from good to great.

Yah I know the thing about female bettas. I have 5 together in my 10 gallon. The only tank i have males and females together is in my 1,099 gallon.
What type of dwarf chcilid?

Can you post a picture of the 1099 tank? I am very curious now

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You have a 1,099 gal, whoa... I'd recommend german blue ram pair, cockatoo apistogramma pair, apistogramma agasizzi pair or kribensis pair. All beautiful fish that can make an aquarium go from good to great.

Lol, it's my pond.

Can you post a picture of the 1099 tank? I am very curious now

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Sure, it's a hottub converted to a pond

Sweet I would love to see the pond. What fish do u keep in it?

Back
Top Bottom