Startling Pleco Fry discovery..what to do...HELP ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

razmataz1971

Aquarium Advice Regular
HMMM...luck must have it. I just got home from purchasing and Albino Bristlenow. I'm floating the bag and my son yells out..."MOM!!! you have babies in the bag!"

Sure enough, there they were. 3-4 of them. Very tiny kinda like brine shrimp size. I didn't even see them in the tank at the LFS they are that small. What do I do?? I can put them in the QT tank I have set up? How do I take care of them?

Any suggestions??

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but I'm guessing the babies are not from the bristelnose.

Do you remember what else was in with the pleco when you bought it? I'm thinking they were already in the tank and got scooped up with him.

Either way, congrats on the babies.

Just a few rainbow fish were in the tank with them. Kinda funny thou, because they have the long tail and their fins look like the bristlenose. I have no clue what to do with them.

It is actually possible that it is pleco fry, i don't see why it couldn't be.
You could try to put them in your QT tank, if it's cycled. You can probably also do it if it isn't cycled, but you will have to change water every day. If it's cycled change water regularly as well.
Hope your succesfull in raising some of the fry! And who knows what will grow out of this......maybe some nice rainbows, maybe some nice plecos :wink:

Good luck!

Well, that would be cool if they were bristlenose. What about getting a breeder net that hangs inside your 75 gallon. It would be easy to feed them and watch them grow.

Congrats! :D

to the best of my knowledge, most pleco's won't breed in captivity...but a quick google search shows that bristlenose pleco's do apparently breed in aquariums. Do a google search, there are some pages with information on breeding them. good luck with your fry!

This species are quite prolific breeders once the conditions are right. They do grow very slowly however and raising the fry is the toughest part. The likelihood is they won't survive in a community tank unless it's very well planted. That being said, I've had some survive to adulthood in my 125g with 3 clown loaches and a variety of dwarf cichlids so you never know.

Good luck with them.

Thanks for all the info. I put them in the QT tank and wasn't able to run out to buy one of those nets that was suggested. So to make sure they didn't get sucked up into the filter until they got situated, I shut off the filter for about 4 hours and added and airstone for circulation. I then turned back on the filter and let that run overnight.

They are tiny little buggers and I can't find them in the tank now. So maybe they didn't survive or got sucked up into the filter or they are just plain hiding. Who knows. I guess time will tell. I'll keep throwing some flake food in there just to see. I'm getting a breeding net today just in case and if I find em, scoop them out and put them in the 75.

Back
Top Bottom