Stating a Planted Tetra 3g nano, advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeachBuzz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
greetings, I'm relatively new (and highly addicted) to the fish keeping hobby. I have a planted 29g fw community tank w Current USA LED+, and a 20g planted nano w single T5 Floramax tube.

I am getting ready to set up a Tetra 3g tank kit (basic filter, LED light, no heat) for a well lit (ambient sunlight) bedroom. I intend to use very basic low tech, low light plants like anubias, java fern, java moss, amazon sword...

Question is should I use laterite base w Fluval Stratum as substrate? or laterite w NatGeo Aquarium gravel or none of the above? I have all three readily available but my concern is, is this overkill for such a basic tank/light application.

I intend to house either a male betta or dwarf gourami and possibly a couple ruby neons or a pair of betta picta's, but I want to try and establish the plants before I stock fish.

any help, advice would be appreciated, TIA

I think I have the same kit. I did ADA aquasoil capped with nat geo "sand". I was advised here it's overkill but I could get the AS by the pound so ...

Plain sand (real sand, like Carib sea or super naturals) with root tabs for rooted plants would be my suggestion.

I have an ozelot sword, micro sword, and crypt parva in there. The sword is interesting being so big, and it doesn't grow much even with root tabs. They all do fine but don't grow much, which is what I wanted.

I stocked just one betta. It is a very small tank, there are those who would say it's small even for the betta.

I'd suggest a heater. The temp will fluctuate a lot otherwise, making the fish sick.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I would indeed suggest against placing numerous fish in such a small tank. A single betta with an apple snail perhaps? Or a small shrimp colony + snail? :)

Sent per three-eyed raven...

I would indeed suggest against placing numerous fish in such a small tank. A single betta with an apple snail perhaps? Or a small shrimp colony + snail? :)

In my experience with this tank, a mystery or apple snail is way too dirty and sensitive, even alone. Poop machines.

You might be right, but i keep mine in a 5g with a betta and have no problems! (Weekly) PWC's is actually the clue to succesful fishkeeping as I've found...

You might be right, but i keep mine in a 5g with a betta and have no problems! (Weekly) PWC's is actually the clue to succesful fishkeeping as I've found...

The 3 gallon tanks really only hold about 9 quarts of water, due to the height of the filter and the substrate. Waaaay different than a 5 gallon.

I was doing 50% every few days with light feeding and live plants ... The only way I can keep this 3 gallon tetra kit healthy with just 50% wc a week is with one betta and lots of plants, including floating plants.

Back
Top Bottom