Stepping it up - Switching from DIY CO2 to Pressurized

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm going to pull the trigger and ditch the DIY for a tanked co2 system. About all i have that i can reuse is the ceramic diffuser. ( hob filter so no in line option ). It seems like the Milwaukee regulator is the way to go, but I'm curious if there are any other brands of parts/prices that are recommended from your experience. I think I still need the solenoid, co2 rated tubing, and a 10'ish pound tank. Am I showing my ignorance by missing anything dumb?

Thanks as always!

If you build your own system, you would need a needle valve in addition to the regulator, solenoid, tubing, and tank.

I would go with a milwaukee. It is a middle of the road quality setup for a very good price. The only complaints I have ever seen out there for a milwaukee setup is the needle valve can tend to be a bit finicky. I used a MA957 though for several years and never had an issue with it.

eseasongear.com usually has about the best price on the MA957. $89 - Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator, Free Priority Shipping!

$89 - Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator, Free Priority Shipping!

So am I reading that description correctly.... It comes with everything but the co2 tank and diffuser?

I have bought 2 great co2 regulators! They are aquatek and they have worked pretty good!! It comes with the solenoid and bubble counter too! If you want to check it out search for it on ebay!! It costs like $70 free shipping

Super_Blueberry said:
$89 - Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator, Free Priority Shipping!

So am I reading that description correctly.... It comes with everything but the co2 tank and diffuser?

Yes, that is correct. You can get a diffuser for $5 on ebay, and co2 tanks usually go from $40-150, depending on the size.

I also recommend you to buy a drop checker...it is cheap and the most cost effective way to be sure that you add the right amount of CO2 into the tank....
You need to read the theory behind it. Just google drop checker and you will find the information.

I also recommend you to buy a drop checker...it is cheap and the most cost effective way to be sure that you add the right amount of CO2 into the tank....
You need to read the theory behind it. Just google drop checker and you will find the information.

Totally agree on this one. I have been into high tech plants tanks for over 6 years and still use one everyday.

I would also get some 4dHK solution to go with it. Like this:

4 dKH Reference Solution For Co2 Drop Checker pH | eBay

I remember people suggesting that the bubble counter should be filled with something other than water because of evaporation.... what was it?

Mineral oil will not evaporate. Just be careful, it is a laxative. ;)

I'd second the MA957 recommendation. I paid the same price probably 3 years ago. Still works like a champ. I went through ladder diffusers and ceramic discs and then eventually a powered reactor and had the best results. If I was using a canister filter I would have went with an inline one.

Edit: What size tank are you putting this on? A 5lb tank is easier to hide than 10lb and the 5lb tank lasted me over a year on my 30g long.

What type of lighting do you have? Any thoughts on plants? Ferts - EI or PPS?

Second Edit: I would also consider a timer for your solenoid or a ph controller/probe.

Last edited:
meegosh said:
Edit: What size tank are you putting this on? A 5lb tank is easier to hide than 10lb and the 5lb tank lasted me over a year on my 30g long.

What type of lighting do you have? Any thoughts on plants? Ferts - EI or PPS?

Second Edit: I would also consider a timer for your solenoid or a ph controller/probe.

Thanks. I knew vegetable oil didn't sound right.

It's going on my 55g. The 10#, though tight, fits in the cabinet nicely. I've got a lot of the 'basic' plants already: swords, ludwigia, wisteria, anubias, dwarf sag, some others. Still looking for that statement plant to really make the tank pop. I've got 98 watts of t5ho on for 9 hours a day, a 4/5 split, on a timer so I'll just piggy back the solenoid with those. I occasionally spot treat algae with a full dose of excel, otherwise it's just sparatic root tabs in the gravel for ferts.

Attachments

• image-121557213.jpg
    image-121557213.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 77
So I came home from vaca yesterday, and I was stoked to see the regulator was on the doorstep. I got it all hooked up and everything went smooth, but I do have one question. The ceramic / glass diffuser doesn't make a mist of the bubbles. They aren't huge and do shrink considerable before reaching the surface, but i was expecting a mist to come out. Is it just a cheap diffuser and should be replaced? Or is this what to expect?

Is it coming out of one spot on the ceramic disc? I had a few that were duds and over time they seem to break apart and do the same thing. Like I said before, eventually I ditched them and went with a powered reactor. I think it was the Red Sea 500 if I remember correctly. It is a bit unsightly but if you can hide it in a corner it isn't too bad.

Is it coming out of one spot on the ceramic disc? I had a few that were duds and over time they seem to break apart and do the same thing. Like I said before, eventually I ditched them and went with a powered reactor. I think it was the Red Sea 500 if I remember correctly. It is a bit unsightly but if you can hide it in a corner it isn't too bad.

Not one spot, maybe 8-10 spots, but all along the edge on one side. The diffuser is maybe 2 months old, so It shouldn't be breaking down already, but it was one of the cheapest ones on eBay....maybe $12...

Any sort of ceramic diffusor needs to be cleaned occasionally. Try looking up a technique for doing that and see if that works. Inline diffusion method, either using a reactor our inline diffusor, have worked best for me.

I personally am pretty partial to the ceramic/glass diffusers, but inline or powered reactors are definitely more efficient. I just like the way the ceramic/glass looks I guess.

Bleach is the best method I have found for cleaning -- it just has to be soaked and rinsed in fresh water and heavy prime dose before returning to tank.

I've been using hydrogen peroxide to clean it with the weekly pwc's and it's never looked dirty, but I know that looks don't mean much. I'll try bleach next time and see if that makes a difference.

I have two of them, so while one is working, I can soak the other. I swap em about every couple months.

Back
Top Bottom