Still having ammonia issues.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
Tank was fully cycled in October. Was intending on moving this filter over to a new tank to avoid any cycle, but ich and ammonia spikes have held me back. I thought things were fine, past tests showed 0 NH3. I am in the process of filling and planting my new tank. Ich is nonexistent after a week of heat treatment (I'm going to keep the temp higher on the new tank to prevent anything), but this ammonia still stands.

Will this prove an obstacle in the tank transfer? Wood, plants, heater, and filter are all being transferred. Think I'll still see a mini-cycle? I attribute the ammonia to my lost cherry barb...even after a water change I still couldn't find him, so I have no idea.

What was the reading when the ammonia spiked? Have you done anything to your tank other than treat it for ich with heat? It is possible that a decaying fish may cause a spike. I would definitely look forward to an ammonia spike when you transfer over although not a large one.

It never goes higher than .50. It's very irritating. Haven't done anything; I'm always very careful when dosing during water changes.

Another thing that may be the cause is that since my fish have been ill and possibly stressed because of the high temp, they aren't eating everything. I watch them eat but it seems they give up after a little bit, no matter how little I feed. That could be a cause, too. It seems as if it creeps up every other day after doing a water change.

It's really bugging me...hate headaches like these, especially since I've never had an issue with ammonia in an established tank.

I'm wondering if I should just start over and re-cycle the tank without fish again. Hmm...

It never goes higher than .50. It's very irritating. Haven't done anything; I'm always very careful when dosing during water changes.

Another thing that may be the cause is that since my fish have been ill and possibly stressed because of the high temp, they aren't eating everything. I watch them eat but it seems they give up after a little bit, no matter how little I feed. That could be a cause, too. It seems as if it creeps up every other day after doing a water change.

It's really bugging me...hate headaches like these, especially since I've never had an issue with ammonia in an established tank.

You mentioned that it starts to creep up after doing a water change. Have you tested your source water? I used to live in NYC and I know it has good tap water, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

I have tested the water. What I meant by that, is, that it remains 0 for a bit after a water change, and then creeps up after a day or so.
Thinking about it, it may not be the worst thing in the world, since when I set up this new tank, several water changes will be in order due to loose dirt from under the sand escaping. If it is due to a decaying fish, or a temporary bout of uneaten food, perhaps the bacteria just cannot cope with the increased accumulation of waste? Maybe I won't see a mini-cycle...

The only other thing I can think of is your bio-load. How many fish do you have in the tank?

One other thing might be causing your problem is the API test kit itself. How old is it? It may be out of date.

Try not feeding the fish for a while. Fish do not have to eat every day. You maybe overfeeding, and as you said there not eating. Excess food can cause ammonia spikes. Rinse your filters in tank water to remove excess food. And reinstall.

Brought cherry barbs to a LFS and they took them from me. I asked them to quarantine them just in case and they said they do that no matter what. So right now I only have 4 fish as of an hour and a half ago.

Test kit was purchased in October...not sure of expiration date...

If the ammonia drops after a PWC, it's not coming from your tap. The ammonia is coming from a source in the tank and I'd bet it's your missing fish.

So, if that is indeed the case, what do you think the odds are of a mini-cycle in the new tank? I already added plants and driftwood over...made sure to overdose every new bucket of water with prime so that ever possible bacterium stays alive until I had the filter.

Came home and tested again. It's around .50 with nitrites showing spot on blue. I've just about had it with this!

My bottles say:

Ammo1: LOT 83A1109
Ammo2: LOT 81A1209
Nitrite: LOT 26A1009

Are these bad boys from 2009? I can't stand this ammonia anymore. Please tell me these are expired and are giving me faulty readings...But why would that explain it being 0 after a PWC and a Prime dosing?

Doing a PWC anyway to get rid of some cloudiness due to my new dirt.

The last four digits are the month and year that the bottle was produced.
Per API the bottles are good for three years. At least that was they told me one time that I called them directly.

Hm, then I don't know what to do. I can't stand the thought of having ammonia issues with living fish in the tank.

Didn't intend for this to happen...this is why I fishless cycled *sigh*

Do you guys think I should give away my tetras and re-cycle the tank? Got a .25 reading again today. I can't look at my fish anymore and be happy knowing that they are enduring pain. This sucks.

Do you guys think I should give away my tetras and re-cycle the tank? Got a .25 reading again today. I can't look at my fish anymore and be happy knowing that they are enduring pain. This sucks.

I wouldn't go that far. I'd keep testing and performing water changes when needed. I know it sucks. I would only give away the fish if the ammonia goes higher than that 0.25 ppm reading you cited.

Did another PWC just now to get .25 down to 0. I removed both Jungle Vals, since they were dying and in bad shape. Could those have been a contributor as well? If it's because of the plants I'll jump up and down and cry in shame at the same time.

y'know man that very well may be a factor. A buddy of mine is a huge fish expert and when I asked him if I should put live plants in my tank his exact words were "heck no those things will mess up your water". After that I avoided the live ones, stuck with plastic, and havent ever had any problems with ammonia to date.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom