Stinky Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was re-doing some rock work and moving corals around so I did a larger than usual pwc, about 20g maybe. While I was messing with the rock I noticed it smelt like the ocean kinda, maybe like a stinky piece of seaweed...I have a protein skimmer that I run and empty every 2 days.

Readings are as follows:
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 2.5
ph 8.3
temp. 79

I've never noticed this smell before, it seems to be the rock I think but it could be the water too. lol

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

I would just like to say congrats on the nitrate level. Its hard to maintain a level that low.

As far as the smell... I doubt it's something to worry about. I have noticed it myself. It doesn't sound like that sulfuric, rotten egg smell that you get with die off on live rock.

It's just an oceany at like low tide kinda smell I'd guess.

thanks, i am a nitrate fiend so I'm usually under 5. lol
Love that the salifert tests go that low, makes me feel like I've done a good job.

Thats good to know that they make one that goes that low. I used to be a reef fanatic and then got out of the hobby for a couple of years. I'm just getting back into it and a lot has changed. 20 ppm used to be as low a they would go.

I believe the salifert goes even lower if you use it on low resolution. All their tests are top notch but a little pricey. I would highly recommend them. :)

LOL Thanks guys.

I've only had the sw tanks up since the beginning of the year and I've never caught this scent before so I was worried.

My wife hates that smell, doesn't bother me though! To me it almost smells like it has a SLIGHT HINT of skimmate smell.

YES! Exactly! I love the smell of the ocean, I lived on the beach for a few months when I moved to Florida. BUT this was stronger adn kinda had a hint of nasty to it so I thought maybe theres a reason.

Would it matter at all that I recently had a bloom of millions of pods? They literally were covering my glass like a swarm. They aren't like that now, only lasted a few days but could that be added organic material that maybe caused the excess smell?

Dary hit the nail on the head. When you moved the LR around some Dead spots in your tank was releasted into the water adding to the ocean smell. This was that tart rotten egg smell.

Ahh ok that helps explain it. I actually didnt think about that. Usually answers are the most obvious lol

I'm actually running carbon now but it's due for a change in five days. That should help for sure.

Thanks so much guys!

Back
Top Bottom