Stocking 8 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Major retailer fish? Idk, maybe a honey gourami (different species than dwarf gourami, smaller and more peaceful) plus a couple of amano shrimp?

I would not recommend zebra danios for an 8 gallon for the same reasons I would not recommend white clouds.

I would not recommend zebra danios for an 8 gallon for the same reasons I would not recommend white clouds.

Ok. I will stick to the honey gourami. Are there any other schooling fish that would thrive with the gourami?

I wouldn't say chili rasboras and cpd's are commonly seen. I haven't been able to get any in a couple of years. You certainly won't find these at any big box stores.

Maybe I will just go with a few neon tetras and a dwarf gourami. Both were rated highly, and it people have reported them thriving in tanks smaller than a ten gallon

Well bettas and white cloud wouldn't mix well... but I'm sure you could maybe get a 10 gallon with a female betta sorority... but my 8 gallon preferences:
-2 guppies
-1 platy
-5 ghost shrimp
But that's me... Oh! And please get a male and female guppy if you go through with this, you could do two of either, but they are a good breeding fish...

Do not get a male and female pair of ANY livebearer if the 8 gallon is your only tank! They breed like crazy and you'll be over run with fry that you'll never get rid of.

I wouldn't say chili rasboras and cpd's are commonly seen. I haven't been able to get any in a couple of years. You certainly won't find these at any big box stores.

My bad. I personally haven't seen them in Australia, those were just the nano fish I'd most commonly heard of.

Maybe I will just go with a few neon tetras and a dwarf gourami. Both were rated highly, and it people have reported them thriving in tanks smaller than a ten gallon

Rated highly, like they got good reviews on the chain store websites? I'd take it with a big ol' grain of salt if that's the case. Most of the folks leaving reviews on the big box store sites are doing so after a couple of weeks at best with the product. It's one thing to do this with dry goods but quite another entirely to do so with living animals that are sold mostly as juveniles and have a lifespan of several years.

Rated highly, like they got good reviews on the chain store websites? I'd take it with a big ol' grain of salt if that's the case. Most of the folks leaving reviews on the big box store sites are doing so after a couple of weeks at best with the product. It's one thing to do this with dry goods but quite another entirely to do so with living animals that are sold mostly as juveniles and have a lifespan of several years.

Didn't realize that. Sorry.

But would a dwarf gourami and 5 neon tetra do well in an 8 gallon? I feel as if my options for fish are limited, and an 8 gallon is the largest size that will fit in my room.

It's pretty much a cube. It's an aqueon evolve 8 gallon
I wouldn't do neons in that then as they do better in tanks with more horizontal swimming space. A betta or dwarf puffer would be good options if you can't find any nano fish.

I wouldn't do neons in that then as they do better in tanks with more horizontal swimming space. A betta or dwarf puffer would be good options if you can't find any nano fish.

Which nano fish do you recommend for the aqueon evolve 8? And can I keep the dwarf gourami?

Which nano fish do you recommend for the aqueon evolve 8? And can I keep the dwarf gourami?

Personally I would not do the dwarf gourami. A sparkling gourami is a more appropriately sized fish (but I rarely see them now days), or perhaps a honey gourami (although even those would be better in a ten gal). I would recommend most of the nano fish already mentioned such as the cpds, ember tetras, microrasboras, clown killies, or even spotted blue eyed rainbows. You could do any of those with a pretty big colony of cherry shrimp. Sadly those fish are not always very easy to find, and in that case something like a betta might be the best option. Sorry if you mentioned this but are you going with live plants?

Back
Top Bottom