Stocking a 120 freshwater with cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mfdrookie516 said:
Given the fact that the OP clearly has no experience with, and clearly hasn't researched cichlids at all, the advice Wy Renegade gave is the same I'd have given. It's much easier to advise the rule to newcomers, rather than the exception.

It's the tone that bothers me. Saying "these are some general guidelines for success" and I don't have as much as a problem.

I also think some of these are above and beyond the "rule". I've never been advised ever to restrict my cichlids to originating a single country.

Well, I always advise newcomers to stick with the same lakes, stick with the same continents, and in the case of africans, stick with the same families (Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, etc).

mfdrookie516 said:
Well, I always advise newcomers to stick with the same lakes, stick with the same continents, and in the case of africans, stick with the same families (Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, etc).

Your advice makes perfect sense to me. I find that to be different advice than Wy's comments.

We essentially said the same thing, just a little different. I read his to mean exactly what I said, only in a few more words (and some a little bigger). While your experience may mean you can do things that are outside that standard 'beginner rule', for someone who can't even spell cichlids correctly (and I mean that in no offense at all... just using that as part of the example), telling them not to "mix countries, lakes, or subgroups of fish" is a pretty good idea IMHO.

I see where you're coming from, but I think you see where we are as well. I say we just carry on with the suggestions and leave it behind us. We're all pretty much in agreement, just different ways of saying it.

Back
Top Bottom