Stocking a 230+ tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaylNeko

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got permission (finally!) for a large tank. Currently leaning towards a 240g 8ft long tank (8x2x2 roughly). It would be heavily planted.

We looked at the discus. Love the colors, but don't like the body shape or the fact I'd absolutely need RO water for them due to my water hardness. So I've been looking into the color variations of the three spot gourami-- the blue, gold, lavender, opaline-- and the moonlight gouramis. I've also fallen in love with the Congo tetras.

Almost all the research I've done into compatibility references tanks 100g or less usually. Given I'm looking at 8 feet of length and heavily planted, what do y'all think about a group of 5 or 6 of the three spots in various colors, and maybe a moonlight or 2, most or all female, with 8-12 Congo tetras?

That wouldn't be the entire stocking-- the rest would be smaller schooling tetras or pencilfish, corys, loaches, etc. Maybe a group of SAEs since I have the room. All of that is easily figured out. It's the gouramis and congos I can't find an answer to. So whatcha think, y'all?

Should work, like you mentioned make sure you are getting mostly females. Maybe order them online unless you have a trusted lfs. Some larger chain store may not be able to tell the gender for you.

Should work, like you mentioned make sure you are getting mostly females. Maybe order them online unless you have a trusted lfs. Some larger chain store may not be able to tell the gender for you.

Excellent. Thank you. And yes, I have two easily accessible quality LFSs I trust. It'll be a bit before I'm ready for fish-- I'm still at the stage of researching tank makers and plans to build a stand and canopy-- but the SO and roommate prefer having some idea of what I'm putting in it.

You could scrap everything and go with an arrowanas

Eh. Not a fan of giant fish. They make it difficult to keep a nicely planted tank. I had an Oscar and after a couple years, I found him a new home.

Although I'd look at arrowanas if I had 1000+ gallons to play with. They are pretty.

As it turns out, I have a 55 gallon tank with about a dozen Congo Tetras and a dozen Blue/Three Spot Gouramis. No problem at all. And I don't know why you'd limit yourself to females. Although the males might chase the females a bit, it's not a problem. I don't know who you'd tell the sexes in immature fish that you'd get at a LFS anyway. I've been breeding these gouramis when I see the males get active and turn a dark blue. Easy to do.
Congo tetra males are much more aggressive towards congo females, but nothing that causes injury. With lots of plants, they do just fine.

It’s a 55 gallon tank but on a sump system with 5 other tanks, over 250 gallons. The water movement and filtration are good and I’ve had no problems.

Yeah, I guess. With the sump the outflow is near the surface of the tank and ich organisms spend part of their lifecycle in the gravel. Out of 200 fish, I lost 3. Knock on wood.

As it turns out, I have a 55 gallon tank with about a dozen Congo Tetras and a dozen Blue/Three Spot Gouramis. No problem at all. And I don't know why you'd limit yourself to females. Although the males might chase the females a bit, it's not a problem. I don't know who you'd tell the sexes in immature fish that you'd get at a LFS anyway. I've been breeding these gouramis when I see the males get active and turn a dark blue. Easy to do.
Congo tetra males are much more aggressive towards congo females, but nothing that causes injury. With lots of plants, they do just fine.

Oh awesome. Good to know.

Most of my research has indicated the female tend to be less aggressive. Also, I've had pearls multiple times and the rule of thumb has always been 1 male to 3 or 4 females, so I figure it'd run the same with the three spot species.

Back
Top Bottom