stocking a 29 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AprilFaith

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am trying to restock my 29 gal tank.

Here is what I think I could add...

2 ocellaris clown fish

1 coral beauty

1 royal gramma

Questions:

1. Are the fish I want to add good choices?

2. I have a hermit crab I think I should get rid of because he is big and ate some of my last fish...could have been because they were getting sick...thoughts on hermit crabs?

3. Should I get rid of the aiptasia before I add fish?

4. Can I add all 4 fish at the same time? Should I add 2 at a time? In what order? Suggestions? Guidance...please

Thanks for any help you can offer
April

Hermit crabs are mainly scavengers so I doubt he attacked your fish. I honestly would chose some smaller fish. To me those fish would look too big. I'd get fish like the tanaka's pygmy wrasse, neon goby, or a watchman goby and pistol shrimp. I would add only one fish at a time to avoid overwelming the bioload.

The ocellaris clowns are a good addition but I would go out of my way to get either fresh juveniles or 2 clowns that are already paired off. If you get two that are in separate tanks then there will be a ton of fighting until dominance is established.

The coral beauty needs a bit bigger tank if I'm not mistaken so I might pass that up in order to go with a different fish. A firefish goby would be a great addition.

The royal gramma is a great choice.

2. It is likely that the hermit crab was eating an already dead fish. They are fine but will attack snails to get a bigger home. I keep mine supplied with larger shells for them to move into as well as by buying snails that are either way bigger or smaller than the hermit crabs.

3. I would start with the aiptasia before anything else. I added a pair of peppermint shrimp which took care of my aiptasia. Otherwise, you could try chemical warfare on them.

4. I would add 1 fish at a time with a 2 week spread between the next addition. The only exception would be the clowns that I would add together as the last addition to your tank.

Back
Top Bottom