Stocking a 38g...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
I'm going to be setting up my 38g, hopefully in the next month. It will be heavily planted with Eco-Complete substrate.

I already have an Aquaclear 70, heater, glass top, and the tank and stand. I still need a light fixture (probably going with the 110w All-Glass CF fixture), Red Sea Turbo CO2 thing, and the Eco....and the plants....so have a ways to go.

Anyways...I need help with some of the stocking. I know some of the fish that will be going in it. Really, I need suggestions on a second school....or if I should have a second school.

This is what will be in the tank:
8 or so Harlequin rasboras
6 Panda cories
4 Albino cories
maybe my betta

I may leave the betta out...not sure at this point.

What other schooling fish should I get? I have 4 Rummynose tetras in my 55g that I thought about moving over and adding to the school. But, if I get some good suggestions on another school...I will leave the Rummies where they are.

Fish I don't want: Livebearers!

Ok...suggest away!

TIA
Kristin

First thing that came to mind is Cherry barbs. Been seeing quite a few nice ones lately. Might be a good contrast with the Harlequin rasboras. That is a combination we have been considering for some time. :D

Or Blue tetras, if you can find good ones. Or Gold barbs. Or Brilliant rasboras. Or ..... I will give someone else a turn. lol

I have some cherries in my 29g. I like the Brilliant rasboras though...they are pretty. I've never seen them around here. They remind me of cherry barbs a little. They are a possibility.

Thanks for the suggestions!

a

I have seen Brilliant rasboras a few times locally. Not as colorful as I hoped, but then they were still in the LFS. :) They made me thinof the red line barb, or rosaline shark. Very pretty, but potentially 6" 8O LoneWolfBlue has an excellent write up on them in the fish profiles. And great pics.

Yes....I love the red line barbs (denisoni's)...they are so cool...but get too large for any of my tanks. I bet they look great in a big school.

I was thinking about lemon tetras. I know they are very common, but I've always liked them. Do you think they would make a good contrast to the rasboras?

Some tougher fish.....Come on Kristin, not even 1 aggressive tank? LOL

Lol...nope. I don't really like aggressive fish. I want to move my Harlies to a bigger tank...or I'd go with something else that was a bit different.

The only aggressive fish I'd go with are some Serpaes....and then you can't have any longfinned fish in the tank...so I think I'll pass. I love my peaceful fish.

I did consider putting some cichlids in the 38g before...but was told the ones I wanted, Yellow labs and Red Zebras, needed a bigger tank. So I gave up the idea.

I know you like peaceful fish LOL. Just giving you a hard time!

I have a BN....I really want a Leopard Frog Pleco L134....like THIS. But...they are omnivorous and I don't want a plant eater.

I like my BN...I would like to have a different type of pleco though. I want a longfin bristlenose for my future 55g rainbow tank.

You have anymore suggestions on small plecos that won't eat plants? I'd love to hear them!

edit: Maybe a Scribble pleco: L129.[/url]

JustOneMore20 said:
I have a BN....I really want a Leopard Frog Pleco L134....like THIS. But...they are omnivorous and I don't want a plant eater.

I like my BN...I would like to have a different type of pleco though. I want a longfin bristlenose for my future 55g rainbow tank.

You have anymore suggestions on small plecos that won't eat plants? I'd love to hear them!

How about a nice L-18 Pleco. I have a Golden Nugget in my 40 gallon. L-18's shouldnt get over 6" long. They havent bothered any plants, love algae, and pretty much eats leftover food and algae wafers. It will eat Zucchini, but i havent seen mine eat any of my plants.

A bristlenose pleco would be ok too, i dont have a picture handy though :)

-Pleco

Here is a pic of my Golden Nugget. (i've since added plants that arent in this photo)

Aww he's cute. I'm just not sure about a 6 inch pleco though. I want this tank to be heavily planted and I'm afraid it would knock my plants over. I want to stay in the 3-4 inch range, if possible. I may just get a cool pleco for my future 55g and just get some ottos for this tank.

What about a L260...Queen Arabesque?

A bushynose Pleco (L-144) shouldnt get to be more than 4", take a look at them :)

L260 would be ok, but good luck finding one. If you do find one i can bet it would be one expensive Pleco :)

The bushynose shouldnt be more than $5 or $6 for a juvenile. a L-18 GN would be around $30-50 for a juvenile, i would speculate a L260 would be at least $50 for a juvenile.

-Pleco

JustOneMore20 said:
Exoticfinds.net has L260s for $30...plus shipping.

What is the L number for a regular bristlenose...just wondering?

L182 :) Had to think about that for a little, bit of a brain stumper :D

-Pleco

You could probably get away with having 2 Australian Rainbow males in there. They arent too much to look at when they are young, but when they grow up they are a spectacular sight that even rivals some SW fish :)

Maybe some Rasboras, I have 2 schools of 2 different types of Tetras, 8 each.

I had 3 Dwarf Gouramis but one decided he wanted the tank to himself and killed off the other 2 :( I probably wouldnt go with Gouramis again just based on this experience.

-Pleco

If it helps any, i have a 40 Gallon tank and here is my Stock

1 L-18 GN Pleco
1 Austrailian Rainbow
1 Dwarf Powder Blue Gourami
8 Neon Tetras
8 Beacon Tetras

I may add some rasboras, or another community fish that isnt a livebearer and would get along with my current stock.

-Pleco

That gives me an idea of what I can keep...thanks! I have a tendency to stock a tank to the max. There are just too many fish I want.

I have neons in another tank...and beacon tetras (head and tailights). They are cool fish though. I have my neons in a 29g with glowlights.

I'm seriously considering the lemon tetras....they are very nice looking. And they are locally available, so I wouldn't have to order them (like I would Rummies, brilliant rasboras, rainbows). My future 55g will be a rainbow tank. I want some Bosemani rainbows. They are so pretty!

The 38g looks really narrow...but its 12 inches wide, so no different than my 29g. Its just 6 inches longer. That's why I don't want any really big fish (like a big pleco). They would look huge!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom