Stocking advice for a 56 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davez79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got my first fish today, i'm so excited I got 1 clown, 1 yellow tailed Damsel, and 1 Royal Gramma, any suggestions? Also how long should I wait to get more? The lady at the lfs. also suggested feeding them pellets is that what you recommend? I have 60 lbs of live rock also.

I wouldnt get anything else for a couple weeks or more. Did you cycle the tank. I see your tank was in "setup mode" only 2 weeks ago. I dont think the damsel is a great fish either, I would watch for aggresion.

Yes I did cycle the tank its been up for a month now. It looks like the damsel and clown like each other. They are hanging out together.

You should have only gotten ONE fish. Ths because the bioload from the fish will shock the system!

Cool, then I would give it at least a couple of weeks to let the bacteria catch up to the bioload and add one or two at a time until you are at your final stocking plan!

Okay, will do. Are the pellets the right choice for these fish?

I feed my fish a pretty good variety of food. I feed pellets, flake and frozen. I would suggest some frozen food, some mysis or an emerald entree type cube. Bloodworms and brine are good too. The clown, damsel and gramma will eat all that I listed, at least mine do. LOL

And yep, wait a few weeks before adding any more fish, and if you have a test kit I would test for ammonia here and there to make sure you don't have a spike from adding so many fish at once to a new tank.

good luck!

Ok so I will wait three weeks and make sure everything is good before adding just 1 fish but still any suggestions on what would go with them I like the pink spotted goby.

I have a pink spotted goby, good fish. eats well and gets along with others. lol He hasnt paired up with my pistol shrimp though. :-(

Help!! One minute my ammonia is fine next it is reading high

Do I need, or should I get a second clown? When the time is right.

Do I need, or should I get a second clown? When the time is right.

Nope you don't NEED to get one ;). It is just personal preference whether you want a pair or not. I had a single one for a few years, then I added a second and they paried up nicely. :)

Back
Top Bottom