Stocking Cichlids???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudog21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok! I'll have to rename the thread.. The flower horn is back at the store. I got a small red devil and a Crayfish as replacement tank mates .

Immediately the blood parrot came out and is swimming around and everyone seems happier already

Good to hear.
I heard red devil gets pretty aggressive as well but I haven't kept one before.

I love blood parrot, they can hold their ground to certain extend.
Good luck

Hate to say it but you really didn't do yourself any good..there is a reason they are called devils lol..when dealing with large cichlids more often or not the best you can do is a breeding pair but when you begin mixing you will almost always have aggression issues

Stocking cichlids???

I'M confused with all the different opinions on stocking cichlids. I've got four small to med cichlids. Around three inches. I'd like to put more, but some say there's too many already. Others say to put more to quell aggression. Can I put more fish if I put another filter? Maybe an inside the tank one? Any GOOD advice appreciated!!!

you wont be able to add any more tankmates, you are overstocked right now. an oscar alone needs a 75 gallon tank.

i would wait for others to chime in i dont have much experience with the species you are keeping, and am not sure on the recommended tank sizes, but i think the jack dempsey is also too big for a 55, the others im not sure.

Oscar, blood parrot, JD, red devil..

Between aggression and deteriorating water conditions I'm afraid your current stocking conditions are doomed. The oscar, JD, and your RD will require a 55g each and to try to get them to co-exist in a small territory simply will not work.

Overstocking fish is used with some Rift lake cichlids to curb aggression but this theory with SA/CA had dramaticly different results due to aggression and the bioload these fish produce when that start putting on size. I would recommend picking one and rehome the rest.

Every fish you have needs a 75 gallon aquarium minimum each I would begin upgrading to a 400 gallon or pick one fish and only one fish to keep and then not add anything else

You have a bad mix of fish in too small of a tank. The aggression has stopped for the moment. It will start up again. Your Blood Parrot is the least able to defend himself. The Oscar is a poop machine and needs a 55g to himself or a bigger tank if you want to mix these fish.

1. much larger tank
2. start over with fish that won't outgrow the tank and CAN live together
3. watch your fish fight and die

I hope you have a big canister filter or two HOB filters to handle the bioload. I dislike 55g for large fish as they are so narrow. 75g at least are a wider tank. Perhaps decide who is your favorite of the fish and rehome the rest??

I've added five more cichlids and two crayfish. The aggression has ceased. There are a lot of different opinions out there. I've decided to go with overstocking to stop aggression. My readings are and have been right on.

I've since added a jewel, a convict, a gr. terror, and another cichlid. The aggression has ceased and my levels are right on..

I've since added a jewel, a convict, a gr. terror, and another cichlid. The aggression has ceased and my levels are right on..

your levels wont stay very good for very long. between the rotting remains of corpses and your general overstocked ness,your gonna need pretty much daily(and probably twice daily) massive water changes to keep your levels measurable

Because this is not the only forum and NOT the only place for info.. I've got one or two people responding on this forum... Not enough info. I got lots of other opinions from

Lots of other forums nd people with lots of different ideas. This was the only place with this kind of info!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom