Stocking Cichlids???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because this is not the only forum and NOT the only place for info.. I've got one or two people responding on this forum... Not enough info. I got lots of other opinions from
you could be getting 3000 pages of help on every thread you make. it wouldnt make a difference,you dont get that you need to get rid of most of your fish

Not everyone's opinion is correct. you should do more research also..
you dont think ive researched every fish ive been interested in/have? because for the third day in a row i read through 6 PAGES of google articles on yoyo loaches,which i dont even have yet. and you have gotten a ton of replies on different threads you made on this very topic saying you need to remove most of your fish,so what do you do? buy more fish! doesnt seem like a very good idea to me

i think your tank is really overstocked. were just trying to help. if each fish you added basically needs a 55g or larger, and you add more fish you are going to run into aggression issues, and wayer parameter issues. my favorite fish in your group is a jd. i say keep him, and rehome the others.

I've added five more cichlids and two crayfish. The aggression has ceased. There are a lot of different opinions out there. I've decided to go with overstocking to stop aggression. My readings are and have been right on.

You are in fact overstocked when you take the adult size into account. Overstocking to spread aggression doesn't work with all fish.

Lots of other forums nd people with lots of different ideas. This was the only place with this kind of info!!!!!!!!!

I know that is not the case, being a long time member of several other forums. You would receive the same responsible, albeit not what you want to hear advice in any of the forums that I frequent.

Not everyone's opinion is correct. you should do more research also..

You are right. Do more research. I research something fish related everyday. By research, I mean actual research versus simply posting a thread. Good luck to you and your fish.

These folks have given you good advice for which they stand nothing to gain from. Please keep that in mind.

Overstocking is only done in African cichlid tanks you really need to do some reasearch on your south Americans... You don't over stock south americans because of how big they can get most Africans stay on the relatively medium to small side

Loudog21 said:
I've since added a jewel, a convict, a gr. terror, and another cichlid. The aggression has ceased and my levels are right on..

May I ask what species has the common name of "another cichlid" haha how can you know compatibility if you made a complete impulse purchase and bought a cichlid in which you have no ability to research in anyway? Not trying to be a smart Alec, just being honest...and that convict is gonna get absolutely destroyed by a RD, JD, or Oscar

Overstocking as was mentioned is used in African Cichlid tanks. Much smaller fish and much less bioload. Big Oscars are Poop Machines. But yours will never reach its full potential sorry to say.

South American Cichlids are a whole different game. Much bigger, messier, don't hide in caves. If Stunted fish with high stress and short lives is your goal, then you are on the right track.

There will always be people who will say what you want to hear. Sometimes they are new to the hobby, or they have the one in a million tank that a bad idea worked out, or they didn't get all your info, etc...

I'm not a Cichlid expert. I've only had fish tanks since 1974. I've only worked in LFSs off and on since 1974 ( I was 12 and got paid in supplies ).
I learn from my customers.

I worked at my local Petsmart for 3 years. 2009-2011. I saw people insist on making newbie mistakes with Oscars and other SoAmerican Cichlids. I know what worked for hundreds of customers and what didn't. I was the "Fish Nazi". I told people " No. You can't add that Fish. " I refused to sell Fish if I thought they'd just die.

I had customers drive over an hour and pass numerous stores to buy from me. Because I kept their fish healthy and was brutally honest in my opinions, yet always try to keep an open mind and learn something new every day !

I am passionate about good fishkeeping. As so many here are. It's all about healthy long lived THRIVING fish. Keeping fish alive is one thing, keeping fish that are awesome and make other people jealous is another thing entirely ;)

Keep learning.

Just to chime in on the thought of SA/CA CICHLIDS co-existing with each other I've had a 6in RD, 6in JD, 3in GT, 3in, tiger Oscar, 2in Texas, 2in FH, and a 1.5in jag along with 1 big 1 small Pleco in my 55 for going on 4 months now and no fighting at all. Other then the normal chasing here and there they all pretty much have they're own spots in the tank to resort to (caves, plants, slate rock formation, flowerpots, ect). Call me lucky but I interact with my fish alot and they all seen very happy together, swim around freely, come right up to the front glass when I walk up to the tank. I'm eventually going to move them all to a 180gal as soon as I can find one.
better find one now. id say youre overstocked now,let alone when they are adults. but in a 55 theyd kill each other first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom