stocking for a 55gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
My parents agreed to get me a 55gal aquarium for christmas (SWEEEET!) and i'm so excited that i want to come up with a stocking idea now. LOL. I have a few ideas, either a peacful community(angels, dwarf cichlids, rasboras, loaches) or an agressive community(cichlids of some sort)

I don't know my cichlids very well at all, are ther any that saty relatively small that have really amazing colour. I like the sunshine peacocks, so if i do a cichlid tank i will definitaly have a few of those. what can go with them?

And, what is a good stocking idea for a peacful community. All i know is i want dwarf cichlids(probably apistos and bolivian rams) and angles(either koi, or marble, or german blushing) What would be a good mixture of other fish. I really like scissor rasboras and buenos aires tetras, can i includ them? lol. I'm so confused, and over excited!

Any input would be amazing!

I'm partial to angels... you could have like 6 angels, 2 rainbow sharks and a school of danios and cories.

really you can fit the majority of most fish in there, especially dwarf cichlids (most dwarfs are south american cichlids)

niks93gt said:
I'm partial to angels... you could have like 6 angels, 2 rainbow sharks and a school of danios and cories.
a 55 would probaly be too small for 6 angels once they start to pair, you could start with 6 and be prepared to get ride of some as they mature. i have a pair in my 75 amd i would not even try to add another angels to that :twisted:

if your interested in african thry this site http://www.malawimayhem.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2659

i realy enjoy yellow labs and cobalt blues personaly they both stay around the 4-5 inch range... Maylandia callainos and Labidochromis caeruleus

well, i did some more reasearch and i figures that i want South american cichlids if i go with a cichlid tank. I really like black convicts and pink convicts. The only thing i don'y like about cichlids are that you are only restricted to larger fish which are more agressive. If i do go with cichlids then i would probably go for 2black convicts and 2pink convicts. What other fish can go with these cichlids?

are kribs agressive,

I bought a pair of kribs for my 46g and had to take the male back because he was terrorizing the female and the tank. I replaced him with a younger male and then my female became the terrorizer. I then gave her away and just kept the young male. He got a bit older and became as mean as the other two so he went back to the store.

So, my thoughts are that the kribs aren't nice friendly fish even when they aren't breeding. There are people with nice kribs, but I didn't have good luck with them.

WaterPond said:
well, i did some more reasearch and i figures that i want South american cichlids if i go with a cichlid tank. I really like black convicts and pink convicts. The only thing i don'y like about cichlids are that you are only restricted to larger fish which are more agressive. If i do go with cichlids then i would probably go for 2black convicts and 2pink convicts. What other fish can go with these cichlids?
i have heard people have success with convicts and firemouths, oscars, and jack dempseys.

keep in mind convict breed like rabbits and they are going to be very territorial

WaterPond said:
i have read about them and i think they are the fish for me. They are very beautiful, easy to care for. PERFECT. Do you think 2pink and 2black would be ok in a 55?
i think so... :? depends on if they pair off, an am not sure how big of a territory they defend.

WaterPond said:
hmm, i will do some more research. Do you think i could include some sort of pleco with them, or would they just slaughter it?
i used to have a pair of convicts, in with them i kept a 6 inch common pleco, it did fine, still have him to this day :)

WaterPond said:
do you think i should just go with two convicts in the 55then, could i get a female pink and a male black. Would they breed together to form a new colour combo?
ah are you ready for your genetics lesson of the day?

in convicts pink is a recessive gene (b) and regular black and white is a dominant gene (B)

so an individual with a pink phenotype (what it looks like) will have a genotype (what the genes say) of bb

an individual of striped phenotype could have two possible genotypes BB or Bb that will affect the offspring

if you mate a pink female with a BB male all the young will be striped

if you mate a pink female with Bb male then the young should (theoretically) be 50/50 striped and pink.

does that make sense? your quiz will be monday, make sure you study your notes and do the sample punnet square exercises... :twisted:

until i got ride of my convict i found this to hold true thru 3 generations :D

WaterPond said:
makes perfect sense. I don't really care what the young look like, really. LOL just thought it might be neat to find out. Thanks for the info. You must be a great science teacher!
i do my best :oops:

WaterPond said:
lol, i have had all stupid science teachers that are soooooo boring.

Anyways. I think i might go with two convicts, a jack dempsey, and a pleco of some sort.
(y)

Back
Top Bottom