Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdoc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had a FOWLR tank in the past and had to sell it when I moved. I Just upgraded and bought a used 135g tank and would like to consider a Reef system. Likely Mushrooms,zoos,polyps,anenome? Any suggestions for stocking a tank this size. I Would like to take advantage of the size and use larger fish.
thanks

What kind of lights do you have? Compact fluorescent is fine for mushrooms and zoas but you need more light for an anemone. There are some soft corals you could substitute - finger leather, xenia, frogspawn, torch, etc.

With a 135 gallon tank you have many many options for fish! Do you want to go with a peaceful tank, semi-aggressive, or aggressive? And you'll need to go with reef compatible fish if you're planning to add corals down the road. liveaquaria.com is a great reference to start with.

You have a lot of options with your size tank. As sooju said you will have to consider lighting for your tank. With a reef tank, and certainly one your size, you will need pretty strong lighting. I'm not familiar with the dimensions of that size tank but I expect it is fairly tall. If that is the case you may want to look into Metal Halide lighting. All your lighting needs will depend on what kind of reef you are planning on having. Figure out what live stock you want and get an idea of their lighting requirements. As for your fish, make sure they are reef safe as sooju mentioned. Stay away from angel fish, puffers and butterfly fish.

Make a list and check out the requirements and temporment of each fish.

Thanks for the reply, what I was looking for was which type of large fish I can place with the corals I mentioned.
thanks

As what was asked earlier what is your lighting like? It will basically let you know what type corals you can have. Tangs are large fish that can be housed with corals.

sorry, right now I have PC with 1w/gallon, I plan on having t5 with 3-4w/gallon. I know about the tangs, but for one I thought you can't mix tangs and two I was wanted some variety.

Back
Top Bottom