Stocking ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeshyRee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I have a 55 gal and a 14 gal looking for stocking ideas? Start with the 14 it's fairly planted I have 2 kuhli loaches in it I want keep and I'd like glass cats and a dwarf gourami or 2 can I do these in a 14? Now the 55 I love the look of Denison barbs maybe 6 a small pleco a shark maybe rainbow shark a blue gourami and 2 angels??? Can these work together? Where will this put me on stocking help!! Lol

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I don't think kuhli loaches or glass cats should be in a 14.

Denison barbs are pretty big, but if you want them you could have some in your 55. A rainbow shark may also be fine but I am not an expert. I don't think angels and a gourami would have problems in a tank that big, but I could be wrong and every fish has a different personality.

Whats the smallest I could keep the kuhlis in?

Some good info here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/kuhli-loach-tank-size-185124.html

Most say 20 gallon, some say it must be a 20 long (30x12x12 inches) and not a 20 high (24x16x12 inches). I would say that it depends on how you set it up. If it is a 20 high it should have lots of floor space available; not too many rocks and stuff on the floor, but enough to hide in (caves are good). Plants will help as a cluster of them are great to hide in but don't tank up too much space for swimming. But to be safe a 20 gallon long at least is best.

Ok I have a 55 gal and a 14 gal looking for stocking ideas? Start with the 14 it's fairly planted I have 2 kuhli loaches in it I want keep and I'd like glass cats and a dwarf gourami or 2 can I do these in a 14? Now the 55 I love the look of Denison barbs maybe 6 a small pleco a shark maybe rainbow shark a blue gourami and 2 angels??? Can these work together? Where will this put me on stocking help!! Lol

A 14 gal has the same footprint as a 10 gal, so your kuhli loaches would be much better off if you move them to the larger tank, and also add atleast 3 more of them. Most loaches should be stocked in groups, about 5 or more is good. Given a proper sized tank and some buddies they are so much fun to watch, I think you'd really enjoy them in your larger tank instead.

Glass cats are, IMO, one of the most important fish to keep stocked in proper schools. I wouldn't keep any less than 6. While not incredibly active, a school of them takes up a good chunk of space and I consider 40 gals to be a good minimum tank size for them, and wouldn't consider keeping them in something as small as a 14. I keep mine in a 55 community and they are a wonderful addition, I would consider them for your larger tank instead.

A single dwarf gourami would make a good centerpiece fish for the 14 gals, but not two.

My rainbow shark has no issues with any fish besides gourami and bettas. He won't touch a dwarf shrimp but he'll shred a gourami. I'm not sure if this is specific to mine because I've yet to hear the same thing from other hobbyists, so I'm not sure if adding a gourami with a rainbow shark is a good idea.

A tank of about 75 gals or more is what I often see recommend for denison barbs but I haven't kept them myself. I'm not sure of their compatibility with rainbow sharks since rainbows notoriously have issues with other shark-like tankmates.

Good to know that's what I was looking for thank you!

Give me some ideas on some neat schooling fish for both tanks guys. I have 7 neon tetras I can do in the 14 what are some other ideas though? Also I want a school of something that's bigger but not to big for the 55 that's really gonna pop like the Denisons would. And how many if any albino corys could I do in the 14?

No albinos for the 14, they are one of the larger cory species so for them I'd go for something with the footprint of a 20L or 29 gal as minimum. Dwarf cories (habrosus) are perfect for smaller tanks like this, but I'm not a big fan of anything larger. Some do feel that panda cories are OK in a tank this size, but personally I prefer the footprint of a 15 or 20H as minimum for them. With cories it's really all about the dimensions of the tank and not the gallons because they are active bottom dwellers.

Since the neons are mid-bottom level schoolers, something like a rasbora or hatchetfish that will school in the upper section of the tank would round it out nicely. You can do green rasboras (microdevario kubutai), pork chop rasboras, marble hatchets, pygmy hatchets, or orange hatchets, to name a few.

For the 55 the first thing that comes to mind is turquoise or Boesemani rainbows.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom