Stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jovan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a small 6 gallon tank. I have set it up (cycled and ready to go). I just have no idea about the correct stocking of the tank. I was thinking 4 guppies and a ghost shrimp or two... Is that too much? Or could I pull it off?

Fish! Fish! Fish!

That's a very small tank, small even for guppies. The most I would suggest is a betta, some ghost shrimp, and some snails.

A betta would be best but you could add two or three sparkling Gouramis.

I had 3 guppies in a 5.5g tank for awhile then moved them to a 29g because one of the guppies had babies now it is a shrimp tank and I have about 20 RCS. So IMO you could probably do 4 guppies if you wanted to but it would be overstocked.

A few scarlet badis and some shrimp could work. You could also instead do 1-2 dwarf puffers.

I'm with the others on either a beta or shrimp set up. I'm a little confused why someone would offer an idea only to admit it would be overstocked.

Some people knowingly overstock because they are prepared to deal with the situation.

Understandably so however, when you read some profiles and realize they are fairly new, appear to have little to no experience, and recommend things that really shouldn't be done on a newbie scale without proper explanation, is like saying to put a great white in a freshwater tank.

A betta could be gorgeous all by itself. I suppose some guppies could be done, but it would be difficult and they really need more room. I would suggest a betta, and if you did live plants, and some causal aquascaping, it could be stunning. If you had enough hiding places, you could even add shrimp. (Be careful though, if you don't have plenty if hiding spots. Some betta's like to eat them.)

Back
Top Bottom