Stocking ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoLCat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone i'm new to this forum. So I was thinking about getting a new tank (i have a 5 gallon betta tank currently). And since i'm out of my tiny apartment I really want to start a freshwater community tank (a 20-30 gal) now that i have the room for it :). i was thinking about another betta tank that would be 20 gallons with some rasboras or tetras and maybe some cory cats but i was also looking at other fish since i already have a betta. i kinda want a focus fish for the aquarium (like a betta) that would be solo. i was looking at red tailed sharks which are so cool!! and maybe some barbs, but i would need like a 50 gallon and thats a bit too much for me right now. so i was wondering if there were any other fish that could be like a focus fish (or solo fish like the shark or betta) with some schooling fish (as lesser focus fish) that could fit in a 20-30gal?

I don't have betta's but from what I've learned here, I'd suggest you focus on one tank and re-house the betta in the larger tank as they need a 10 gallon minimum. You can keep the 5 gallon as your QT/hospital tank. Then focus on finding some tankmates for the betta (cory's, platy, tetra, etc).

so i was wondering if there were any other fish that could be like a focus fish (or solo fish like the shark or betta) with some schooling fish (as lesser focus fish) that could fit in a 20-30gal?
It will really depend on the exact dimensions of the tank in question. With a standard 29g tank an Angelfish would make a nice centerpiece fish. They get big as adults but aren't fast swimmers and are usually very peaceful as lone specimens.

I don't have betta's but from what I've learned here, I'd suggest you focus on one tank and re-house the betta in the larger tank as they need a 10 gallon minimum.
While I am not a fan of stuffing betta's in tiny tanks a 5g tank with a single betta doesn't seem like it is unreasonable as long as you are keeping up with maintenance. Why do you believe a 10g is the minimum size?

While I am not a fan of stuffing betta's in tiny tanks a 5g tank with a single betta doesn't seem like it is unreasonable as long as you are keeping up with maintenance. Why do you believe a 10g is the minimum size?

I spend way too much time trying to learn as much as I can which means reading a LOT of these threads :) Consensus I've seen is people recommending the 10g (maybe minimum was too strong of a suggestion) as ideal.

A red tailed shark is a good fish, but he needs lots of dark corners to hide in. I have a treehouse deco, and when I first got him, he spent most of his time in the house. However, he is beginning to trust me more, and showing off his fine tail a lot of the time.

Also, if you want the tail to remain pretty, the shark needs lots of shrimp for all the pigmentation.

thank you for your responses. i read that 5 gallons was the minimum for a single betta. i don't keep any other fish with him and i've had him for about a year and he always seemed happy but yeah maybe i'll upgrade his tank but wouldn't it be stressful for him to be introduced to new fish after being alone for a year?

thank you for your responses. i read that 5 gallons was the minimum for a single betta. i don't keep any other fish with him and i've had him for about a year and he always seemed happy but yeah maybe i'll upgrade his tank but wouldn't it be stressful for him to be introduced to new fish after being alone for a year?
Your betta should be fine in a 555g tank. I wouldn't worry about it overly.

ok yeah that makes sense haha... ok i'll try moving him into a new tank. so going with the new 20-30 gallon tank range i was thinking about adding like 6-7 neon tetras with 3 platies (all either female or male cause i don't want to deal with them breeding) and a snail maybe. would that be too much? i'm unsure about how the platies would do with the betta. i've read about people doing it and then others would say its not a good idea. thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom