Stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexwm125

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After many weeks of debate, I am finally refining my diamond tetras. They are too aggressive for my tank. I thought they had finally chilled out until I caught one of them today chasing one of my otos and he took a chunk out of his tail fin!!!! NO! That's the last straw. Bye bye diamond tetras.

What is a good PEACEFUL small schooling fish that would fit nicely in a:

29 gal moderately planted

2 dwarf gouramis 1 male 1 female (very peaceful although some say they can be aggressive)

3 otos

5 kuhlis

Was thinking either
Rasboras
Danios
Small bodied tetras

I know these are broad categories but just a general idea of where I'm going. Need suggestions and good experiences!!

I love my fish!!!

I love zebra danios! I'm probably really biased, since they were one of my first fish, but I've never had any bad experiences with them.

Haha your profile pic ?
I've actually never even looked them up! Always heard of people using them to cycle unfortunately though.

I love my fish!!!

People use them to cycle tanks because they are hardy, but I think that just makes them an even better permanent fish.

Looked them up and they seem awesome. But maybe a little too "speedy" you know?

I love my fish!!!

I like the look of cpds or some rasbora. Anyone have experience with them?

I love my fish!!!

Yeah I'd skip the zebra danios as they are a little too manic compared to the more docile dwarf gourami. CPDs are awesome little fish but they can be extremely shy in tanks with larger fish and not enough cover. If you did get them I'd suggest around 12+. Some other good options:

Harlequin rasboras (I especially like the blue variety)
Cardinal tetras
Rummynose tetras
Ember tetras
Lemon tetras
Beckford pencil fish
Furcata and threadfin rainbows
Cherry barbs
Pentazona barbs
Checker barbs

Sent from my iPad using science

29 gal. I'd do a large school of CPDs or harlequins as stated above 12 would be a solid amount. Maybe make the plant groups denser if you're choosing the CPDs to Make them less skittish.

You. Could do easy plants in the tank and get a few endlers and a school of chilli rasboras.

I have a tank of cpds and they are extremely shy. Even with no bigger fish in the tank. They did surprise me with a batch of fry. Harlequin rasboras are great fish. They school nicely. Have a great look and are very hardy. A few more kuhli loaches would be nice. The more of them the more secure they feel which will make them hide less.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm REALLY interested in the furcata rainbows. Are they easy to care for? I've heard some rainbows are hard to feed?
Would 8 be alright, and would they be peaceful!

I love my fish!!!

I have 10 furs, not sure on the M/F ratio since I got them in 2 batches plus the horrible fish mix up/doa disaster. Kicking myself for not getting into rainbows years ago....

What happened? Did the shipping get screwed up?

I think I am going with the furcata they are so unique looking and I love the "fluttery" way they move.

I'm thinking 3-4 males 5 females. Too many?

I love my fish!!!

Many people suggest more females than males, not sure on a ratio. The more females you have, the more colors your males should have.

Geez! No refund?! I would have been pissed!

I think I'm gonna drive over to wet spot next week to get mine. Just need to find someone or somewhere to take these diamond tetras ? ugh

I love my fish!!!

Back
Top Bottom