Stocking my 20 gallon planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sebsauce

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone! I am new to the hobby and was just needing some help on how to stock my fish tank. I currently have 5 Zebra danios. I am planning on putting a few shrimp on there as well to help clean up a little, but for fish, I really like the dwarf gourami especially the orange with different colored ones and the dalmatian molly. If I were to add one gourami and maybe 3 dalmatian mollies do you think that would be okay?

If not I would love suggestions on stocking the fish tank
Thanks in advance for your time!

I'd be careful with shrimp and gouramis. They kinda have a reputation with eating them as a snack :) Mollies tend to breed like crazy. Also dalmatian mollies don't stay white and black most of the time. I have before and after pictures of my dalmatian who used to be white and turned solid black :) but other than those things it sounds like a happy little tank. You could even get 2 gouramis. Just keep up with the water changes:)

I would not recommend a second gourami. My experience is that one gourami will almost always bully another in a tank of that size. If you are sensitive to one of your fish being unhappy and stressed all the time, you might not like the result with two gouramis.

Would you maybe recommend getting a few more zebras and one dwarf gourami? I would also like shrimp in the tank and I do not mind if the gourami eats some of the small ones. I also would like juli cory, but I do have a bit for a rougher gravel

I would not recommend a second gourami. My experience is that one gourami will almost always bully another in a tank of that size. If you are sensitive to one of your fish being unhappy and stressed all the time, you might not like the result with two gouramis.
I agree. Since the betta is a gourami, you can see the problem. Ev1 is familiar with the betta and conspecific aggression

I don't know. All the gouramis I have get along fine. I've had 5 in a 40 gallon before. Maybe I'm just lucky :) Definitely more zebra danios.

Well, that's the old adage... every fish is different. Like i told someone on here in a different post about compatibility. You'll read a dozen ppl say it's not/ never/ shouldn't work, then a dozen more say they've done it with no problems. You just don't know until you try. One thing I've learned from keeping so many cichlids, is its good to have a back up plan, lol

Back
Top Bottom