Stocking my new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ComicNinja

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently got a new 5 gal. tank (would have loved to go larger but I'm limited by space and budget and it's my first tank) and am currently in the process of cycling. Once that's finished however I'd like to get some endlers. My question is how many endlers would you recommend putting in the tank. On another note I was also considering some ghost shrimp to help with maintenance. Now I know the general rule of thumb is 1 gal. for 1 inch of fish but I also heard that they have a low bio load so could I get away with maybe 5 endless (or more) and maybe 2 or 3 shrimp?

Thanks for the help guys!

Hard to say. Put in your tank size and filtration in aqadvisor for some guidance.

Right about the shrimp though. Two or three should be fine. Aqadvisor is not very good for shrimp estimates in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Awesome thanks for the advice. All the sources I've heard from say that around 5 would be good in that size tank, I'm just curious if the shrimp would overload it or not.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just a quick update, for the past couple days my waters been pretty murky (i presume from bacteria forming but not 100%). Happy to say that today the waters looking crystal clear. Ph is a little high (any fish friendly at home fixes?) but other than that everything is green across the board. Also checked aqadvisor and 5 endlers and a few shrimp should get along just fine. Any advice for caring for the shrimp? Any special treatment apart from the regular stuff for fish?

I've only had ghost shrimp for two weeks. None have died yet they are pretty easy to care for as far as aquatic species go. Just make sure they have plenty of places to hide and stay fed. I give mine flakes and pellets. Only thing I can think of that might be different is they need calcium. You could make some snail jello and give that to them every now and again. They ate my snails snail jello, then the snail I actually have to feed mine regularly because I have no other occupants of the tank yet. I do notice they like to pick at the dead parts of plant leaves throughout the day though.

But I'm no expert so, I will leave the rest to them.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Advice for someone who has them is exactly what I want though so thanks! Any one have any other ideas for calcium intake?

Back
Top Bottom