Stocking opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. I have my first tank coming to me soon and I'm trying to figure out who to put in it. After a lot of reading I think I've narrowed my list (from everything to something more realistic... lol) but I still need some fine tuning for my final list. So if you all wouldnt mind, I'd like to run my list by you and get some opinions and suggestions.

The tank is an 80g bow front and I plan on 2 Marineland Emperor 400's, a visi-therm submersible 200W heater, and a stock flur. light bar (at first). I also plan on a couple plants like a Jave fern, a duckweed, and an anubius with a sand bottom with some rock formations for caves. So you know what I'm working with...

Assume the tank is cycled and ready for fish. (it will be... lol)

I would like to start with 5-8 Zebra Danious and 2-3 Bristlenose placos.
Maybe 3-5 Swordtails (providing not too much at once... if so they can wait)
Should I QT the fish before I put them in the newly cycled tank??

After that I would like to add: (over time...not all at once, after QT)

3-5 Orange Sunshine Guppies
4-6 Blackskirt or Penguin Tetras
5-6 Boesemani Rainbows
3-5 Rosy or Gold Barbs
2 Angles
2-3 Dwarf Gouramis

Now I know I can't have all of them. Way too many... bummer... so I would appreciate any opinions on grouping and quantities.
Thanks all!

I would scrap the guppies and swordtails as they will breed constantly and you will get overrun with guppies and swordtails in no time. If you consider getting more plants you can manage the rest of the fish with good tank maintenance. Start with adding the smaller fish and then wait a couple of weeks and some other fish. Add the angels last as they have the potential to be the most aggressive.

Population control of the guppies and swords wouldn't be a problem with an angel. I have 3 swords and an angel anytime any new babies come along they become dinner for him and I have what I consider a medium planted tank. Dwarf gourami are very territorial even in that size tank so you might need to have an extra tank just in case they start ripping each other apart. I had 2 angels together until they reached adulthood then ended up having to get another tank. I would be careful with barbs and angels they can be nippy. I have never had any rainbows or black skirts.

Quarantining your fish to start with is a good idea because some fish can carry internal parasites that is very hard to get rid of and it would mean starting all over again with your tank you are setting up.

Personally I understock I find it less stressful for both the fish and me. In a tank your size I would go with 2 small schools and one centerpiece fish with a clean up crew of cories and a small type of algae eater like a bristlenose or oto cats.

I definately want to start small and work my up. Just add new friends here and there until I'm sure what I have I can take care of correctly.
The last thing I really want is a baby factory fish tank... lol so I'll reconsider the guppies and swords.
Thanks for the advise!
Any other thoughts or experiences? Thanks all.

Edit:

Thanks for the input Joy!

What if I replaced the Barbs with a few Kribs and didn't do the DG's? I'll probably get rid of either the swords or the guppies too. Do you think that would work better?
I already plan on a couple Bristlenose. Any suggestions on another member for the cleanup crew?

I have never had Kribs so I can't comment on them.

I would do a small group of cories 4 to 6 most get about 3 inches as adults unless you can find dwarf cories which I have never beable to find. If you do want guppies for the flash stay with a few males.

Like I said I do have 3 swords (1male and 2 females) in my 29 gallon with one angelfish. When there are babies born they don't survive very long because they get eaten. He is to busy with the females to bother with anyone else in the tank.

I have one female bristlenose pleco in my 50 gallon tank and it does a great job at cleaning algae as long as I don't give her many algae waffers. The only time I see her get aggressive is when I put in an algae waffer. Most pleco like to have natural driftwood in the tank. Both the cories and the pleco need to be put in a well cycled tank.

Personally I would add the smaller fish, angelfish and then the cleanup crew.

Some people have a larger shrimp in their tanks but since I do have live plants that do better with iron I don't have them as a cleanup. I have thought of having an all shrimp tank and an all guppy tank. Guppy overload would be used as live food for my angels.

You MIGHT want to stay away from duckweed, if you want a floating plant go with red rooted floaters or frogbit. They are both easier to control in a tank. Duckweed has a way of turning up in tanks anyway for me.

Back
Top Bottom