Stocking suggestions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FamilyFish3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so we cycled a 60gal recently and have been following the rule to add only a few fish at a time. Started out with 2 blue gouramis (1m & 1f) and 1 pearl gourami (female). Purchased 3 boesmani rainbows (1m, 2f) and 3 turquoise rainbows (1m, 2f) from LFS a week ago. They are all in the 2-3 inch range and juvenile. (Worked with the owner to help identify the gender.) I know the rainbows should have at least 5-6 for each type, so my question is this...if we add more rainbows, what kind of bottom feeders could we add and how many should we get?

Interested in these possibilities:
5-6 cory sterbai, or
5-6 dwarf chain loach (botia?), or
shrimp that are large enough not to be bothered by Gouramis?

We are open to other suggestions and just to note we are using the aqadvisor stocking calculator for scenarios. The tank has a fluval 306 canister and would consider upgrading once the fish mature if needed.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Hi, I am by no means an expert here but I can tell you from personal experience that Flower shrimp and Whiptail catfish do well with Rainbows and Gouramis.

Sent from my C811 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I highly recommend the chain loaches. I have a school in my 75 gallon with my gourami and rainbows, and they add a lot of activity and humor :) I don't know of any shrimp I would trust with the gourami and loaches though. Loaches will tend to kill the shrimps when the molt, ang the gourami get large enough that the only shrimp big enough to stand their ground are at risk of eating or hurting your fish.

Thanks!

I have looked at youtube videos of the dwarf chain loaches and they seen to have tons of personality and don't get too big.

Yep! They're the clowns of my 75 gallon. Especially if you have pest snails to remove... I love seeing mine swim by with a snail shell stuck over their faces while they happily munch away ;)

I've got three and I'm looking for more perhaps another three. Yes I also highly recommend them.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom