Stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarist1234

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a cycled 37 gallon tank and I am wondering what (community fish) to stick it with.
Any ideas?

This is my second tank.
This is my first community tank.

I know it's not a fish, but have you thought of african dwarf frogs? I have two of them, with two bristlenose plecos, five glolight tetras, four platys and a swordtail

I'd do a beautiful school of glow lights . 8 maybe? Then a school of cardinals . A school of cory cats , then for a centrepiece I say a GBR pair but I don't know if this is your first tank or not. You could get a pearl gourami but it's entirely up to you.

Those both sound like great setups! Do you know what the hardiest community fish I could start out with would be? Just so I can make sure that the water is perfect and everything.

Aquarist1234 said:
Those both sound like great setups! Do you know what the hardiest community fish I could start out with would be? Just so I can make sure that the water is perfect and everything.

I know for sure Harlequin rasboras and glowlight tetras are. They were recommend to me back in the day for a fish in cycle.

I now have a 55g community tank and have a school of each of those fish in there. Rasboras are super active.

A few other fun options IMO are diamond tetras, bentosi tetras, kuhli loaches, glowlight danios, hatchets, sword tails, and cherry barbs.
Honestly, you have a ton of options. Can you tell us more about what you like an don't like? Colors, shapes, sizes, behaviors?

absolutangel04 said:
A few other fun options IMO are diamond tetras, bentosi tetras, kuhli loaches, glowlight danios, hatchets, sword tails, and cherry barbs.
Honestly, you have a ton of options. Can you tell us more about what you like an don't like? Colors, shapes, sizes, behaviors?

I can't decide either:). That's why I made this thread, because I like them all!

I have a male pearl gourami in my tank he's a beautiful fish & doesn't bother anyone, I,d definitely recommend one of those :)

Here's what I'm thinking

•A pair of GBRs
•A Pearl Gourami
•A few Zebra Danios
•A school of Glolight Tetras
•A few Cories
•A few Mollies
•A few Platies

Does this sound overstocked?

Actually that sounds fine to me. With the danios, I would do like 6 so you can them interact with each other. They are pretty fun to watch as they zip around.
I have not kept pearl gouramis before, so I am not positive if that is the best species for this set-up or not. I do know they can be a little shy, but somebody who has more experience with them will be able to give you better info about that.
With mollies and platies, try to keep 2-3 females per male is possible. The males will constantly follow the females, so it is good to have a few females to share the attention.
Let us know if you have more questions. :)

I'd definately reccomend swordtails. Mines been with me through 2 tank moves, extremely high nitrates and when my guppy (who died in the end) got finrot. In my opinion, I'd say that they are very hardy fish

My pearl gourami was shy when I first got him, but now he's the opposite he even likes getting hand fed. He's been a great addition to my tank :)

Sort of
I'd maybe nix a GBR get only one male platy and only 2-3 male mollies(unless you want two to three male plates and one male molly instead), and get a school of 7-8 cories of any type
Make sure you get at least six zebra danios, six glow light tetras, and six cories at the minimum
I would add a bristle nose,snowball,clown,or pit bull pleco. Starlight bristle nose are gorgeous!

What I Have-
1M 2F Mollies
1M 2F Hi-Fin Platies

Future Stock
x6 Danios
x6 Cories
1M 2F Swordtails
x1 Pearl Gourami
x1 GBR
x1 BN Pleco
x6 Rasboras

How does this sound? I already have three mollies and three hi-fin platies. One molly has some kind of infection in its eye, and one platy hides behind the filter or floats below the waterline, so I don't know how she's doing.
My biggest molly might be pregnant, and my Dalmatian molly does these weird jerky movements. Everyone eats, so I think they're okay.

Can't wait until my tank is full-fledged!

I would edit out the sword tails personally, at least at first. The platies and mollies will give you the color/activity, so I don't think you need to add more livebearers to the mix.
Besides that, it sounds good to me. :)
I would still do a gbr pair personally. Even if you don't end up with a f/m pair, they still are more fun to watch when they have somebody to interact with IME. But, if you want a single, that is totally fine too.
Once you get that stock and can see them all swimming, you will get a better idea of the tank dynamics. Start slow, because it is easier to add fish than it is to re-home fish generally.
Good luck. Let us know if you have more questions.

Okay, so nix the swordtails (at first, at least), and add another GBR. Sounds good, I'm going to my LFS today to pick some up. I'll probably get another platy, because one of my females is barely hanging on. I'm sad, but also really excited about getting new fish. I think I'll get some GBRs maybe? What do you think I should get for a second set of fish?

Got back from the LFS with a bumblebee goby and two apistos. The guy recommended not to get GBRs unless I have a UV sterilizer, then he told me apistos would be great and he threw in the goby. Do you think these are good?

Bumblebee gobies will most likely need brackish water, yours may or may not be the fully freshwater type. The apistos sound fine

emerald76 said:
Bumblebee gobies will most likely need brackish water, yours may or may not be the fully freshwater type. The apistos sound fine

That's what I asked the man about the goby, and he said this one was freshwater. Do you know how to teach it to eat flakes?

Back
Top Bottom