Strange dot on Syno

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StrangelyNormal

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello. I have a featherfin synodontis who is puzzling me a bit. He started out with a teeny area of fungus, and after a round of meds, you practically cannot see it. I imagine if it was necessary to treat him again for a fungal/bacterial infection, it would be cleared up very easily, since you really cannot see it that well without torturing him with a light.

While that is becoming all well and good, I noticed something odd. I'm not jumping to conclusions, and for the record, his poop is dark (trust me on this... I have plenty of specimens, he is a dirty fish) so there is no risk of internal parasites. Still I'm watching to make sure the even smaller patch of white disappears - it's so small you really need to peer into him - with a flashlight - to see it, which means it is healing.

But I noticed this. And this has been around for a few weeks, but my brain is going.

It is one, isolated, white dot. It is not fuzzy. He has had it, and he hasn't shown any impairment. He is not itching, or acting strange. He is just acting how he always is - and trust me, his appetite is perfectly healthy. I've been giving him mysis shrimp to help combat anything he may have.

Now: here it is.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u83/wolflover91/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0560_zpsd1dfdfd8.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u83/wolflover91/IMAG0561_zps044707eb.jpg

Am I being paranoid? I know sometimes fish just have dings and spots and blotches and they don't mean anything (I had a rainbowfish with a random brown pimple... nothing happened. It just left. On it's own, no treatment needed). and it's just, you know, a part of the fish. But is this a part of the fish (it appeared recently) or is it something like a parasite? It is one spot. Only one spot. I was googling and it may just be a synodontis thing... a lot of other have this spot or just a white spot that isn't anything ominous. You can see the rest of his side is practically spotless.

He is currently in QT for the white that is slowly leaving, but before I put him back I want to make 10000 percent sure this is nothing.

Noticed other pinhole sized dots on his face forming with a flashlight. It's either parasites or hith disease or both. I dosed with metronidazole. Anything else I could do?

Anyone think cryptopro from nfp could help me (quinine sulfate)? The dots aren't going away. Getting worried.

Sure, I'll post another. They're hard to see and he's not the easiest patient to document..

Looking back, it looked like the dot wasn't completely round? I just want to make sure it isn't ich?

The dots were like a white patch and there were two? One back from the eye and one on the other side? Has the number of dots increased a lot and where are the located?

Also the holes weren't getting any worse?

I think that's it(?), trying to pull everything into the tread and get up to date.

img_3162590_0_fc3a36867bd602d507687aeca967a7d3.jpg

I have to be honest, they're microscopically small. But you should see white. They're not worsening, but not seeing the white leave. Maybe Im just impatient, but I want to know if there's anything else going on.

The photos I've posted just about sums up the dots. The hardened scab-like one, the ones I posted before, and another angle of those ^ here.

Yes, quite hard to see. Can just make them out I think.

Well I would dose the QS with the metro (this should be ok) and that should clear up any parasites once and for all. Be careful not to overdose.

I had a look at bacterial infections (looking back at deaths of cories) but can't quite get it to fit (missing any redness). Example link below.

http://www.aces.edu/dept/fisheries/aquaculture/documents/EntericSepticemiaofCatfish.pdf

Someone mentioned that QS Is toxic in high ph. Is this true do you know? Or does anyone know?
My PH is somewhere around 7.5 to 8. It's rather high. Nothing brings it down (tried driftwood)

I looked around and could find no mention of this, even in marine tanks and using different quinine compounds. Nothing related to hardness either.

Well good news is its somewhere around 6.8 to 7.2. We are safe! Thanks delapooll. You've been awesome this whole time.

Seriously can't thank you enough.

Dosed with Crypto-Pro, since the tank is big (he is absolutely not going into a QT tank, it made it worse) I did the big tank dosage... 1/4 tsp per 10 gallons for 5-7 days. I did 4 for now, and I am watching. I will add the rest in a few hours (1-2 hours). I did a big WC and cleaned everything up. The tank is spotless.. looks as it did when I got it (of course with hideous bio-filters!).

They're certainly not growing.. this should do the hex in. Stubborn case of it, let me tell you.

Back
Top Bottom