Strange dot on Syno

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The holes are shrinking. Any clearish pimples remain. As in he had craters in his head and the craters are leaving. The pimples remain. Thing is the pimples aren't lodged into the craters for the most part. They're just on his head.

Hoping the craters leave fully soon that way I can treat the pimples.

Just did a wc last night. I dropped in soilent green last night and he ate the entire hunk of it. Very happy with it.

Looking at the pics, the syno has a mask of dots around the head, that's what the fish looks like and is possibly why you can't remove it with meds!
The microscopic holes are most likely the lateral line system.

(4:13 seconds)
Synodontis.
Healthy and normal looking!

(Circled dots on post #13, that's part of the fish!)

I thought so. The little white dots we are referring to. Thank you though. :D his LL is healing slowly.

The raised dots are fine, part of the fish.

Yes, the little dots form part of a face mask, not sure of its purpose. (See video, exactly at 4:13 and 4:18)
Mine had random blemishes that come and go, no meds prescribed.

Some people suggest carbon dust can cause HLLE and HITH, do you use carbon?
(Really these ailments are a sign of some other issue and an actual cause cannot be confirmed) you will need to try several things until it disappears.
Could be diet, water etc.

This is a good article, it isn't the one I know but the info is basically the same.
Cause and Treatment for HITH/HLLE - Hole in the Head - Head and Lateral Line Erosion - Fish Disease

Just bringing it forward,
img_3175285_0_fc3a36867bd602d507687aeca967a7d3.jpg

I have to be honest, they're microscopically small. But you should see white. They're not worsening, but not seeing the white leave. Maybe Im just impatient, but I want to know if there's anything else going on.

The photos I've posted just about sums up the dots. The hardened scab-like one, the ones I posted before, and another angle of those ^ here.

(. . .These spots, most likely the fish is reaching sexual maturity, how old is the fish?)
2 years is about how long it takes

I've had him a year about since he was a baby, probably no older than 6 months to a year old when he was gotten. I think the raised bumps were my paranoia tbh, my real worry has been the white dots and the holes

Right now I've done some research and apparently lle/hith can be caused by a lack of algae in the diet of catfish so I've went and got SOILENT GREEN by repashy foods which has 12.5 percent algae. Some of his holes have gone except the white dots which I suspect is a secondary bacterial infection. He has had no real illness until now. Some holes on him have left or gotten smaller since the metronidazole food but those white clearish pimples remain. Carbon is no longer in and hasn't been in for over a month probably longer.
The tank since has been thoroughly cleaned and any traces of carbon removed.

He is on his 6th day of metro food (got better after the metro) (medicated hikari carnivore pellets), vitachem, NLS thera+a for the garlic and soilent green.

In your opinion is there anything else I could be doing? the thera+a has a lot of vitamin c, nitrates are low, vitachem is vitamins obviously, all this is supplemented with frozen food or veggies.

doing water chsnges frequently. more often than once a week.

FINALLY.

You see the white dots on his head? The clearish white pimples?

they are arranged in this fashion:

img_3175723_0_187d57130aaecf1df7a01070b1c476b2.jpg

you will be beautiful and amazing if you tell me it's just a part of him and I can go back to sleeping properly (seeing as I feed him at night, he's nocturnal). See around the head? this was taken from (http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=227636). see the little white dots on the head that go in a half circle type thing? this is not my fish, as I said. It just captures it perfectly. just before you hit the big dorsal fin? see how they go in a rounded fashion?

I'll never be so happy to be paranoid.

Well, the holes are definitely there. So I haven't treated for anything I wasn't supposed to.

That photo isn't him it just resembles him. That was taken from another forum. Otherwise he has come out more since the holes began shrinking. Every time I go down he is out and about. The other day he tried to feel me through the glass with his whiskers actually. XD

He has the same exact pattern, the dots are just clearer and not as white. Perhaps it is a maturity thing. He did definitely have HITH regardless though.

I'd never be so happy to be paranoid. Either way this is looking up. I need to spoil him with a hunk of plankton when this is all over.

Not sure if I should continue the metro or not. Today was day 7. The holes seem to not have gone away fully but seemed to have sort of stabilized. May continue, May not. Not sure.

Continue for a few more days would be my thought. Might as well do 10 days as all is going well. As suits though.

This took ages to find out!

Please be joyous!

They (the node like spots) are part of the olfactory system and are electroreceptor sites.
Turns out synodontis are mildly electric fish, this system is used in prey/predator detection, navigation, kin recognition and mate finding.

They will not disappear as it is part of the fish.
(Now I know what they are for!)

Oh no there is no reason *at all* to tell me to please be joyous - I'm elated here.

You mean the facial nodes or the dots?

Back
Top Bottom