Strange dot on Syno

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I forgot to bolt thanks onto the last post (I saw my profile page!)
Just got a message too! Cheers twice.

I mean everything but the holes. In some species it is only a few dots/spots/maybe nodes? In others it is highly "advanced" covering a significant portion of the fish.

(They are prominent in post 71 (not your fish) but can be made out in your fish (post13) and can be seen post 66 (4:13-4:18 my video))

If the pattern is fairly regular and roughly mirrored per side, it is most likely to be part of that system.

Mind a link to the source? Gotta check this out.

Oh my God that's so awesome!

and yes, they're EXACTLY as seen in post 71.

He did have HITH, but it's actually healing up. Good story all around, and certainly informational!

Search, synodontis olfactory system electro receptors (or combinations of that)
You will find hundreds of pages, draw your own conclusion.

(I made a judgment call based on the fact that no parasitic infestation I've ever seen is uniformly distributed, and it is definitely not ever mirrored, things like ich and velvet are random sites, no pattern)

The amount of receptors would indicate the complexity of the system, another judgement based on my understanding of fish biology, I'm not a scientist but I do read about it occasionally. More receptors means more data entry points if they are highly developed or serve different functions I am unsure, that's for the icthyologists.
Maybe such papers exist?

http://www.researchgate.net/profile...ric_fields/links/546ee2bf0cf2b5fc17608237.pdf

http://www.ucs.louisiana.edu/~jxa4003/Albert PDF's/Albert-Crampton-Electroreception-proofs.pdf

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Going to see if I find more photographs of it. It's very interesting!

Further good news. The holes are healing up in one spot right now noticeably, the rest are shrinking. I may still give him a round of Kana to be sure nothing is infected - but he's done well and we're all good soon. :)

I expect the rest to disappear over the next few months. It seems to have been a slow advance so I imagine that trend will continue.

Cheers for everyone's help!

Back
Top Bottom