Stress Zyme Vs. De-chlorinator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follicle

Aquarium Advice Regular
Last night before performing my weekly water change, I remembered that I had run out of Top Fin de-chlorinator the last time I did a change. I ran out to a local pet store not far from my house, but the only thing I could find was Stress zyme. I have had no experience with Stress zyme, but I noted on the bottle that it also acts as a de-chlorinator. The label mentioned that it could be added while doing water changes so I went with the stress zyme.

One major thing I noticed was the amount of stress zyme I had to add compared to my Top Fin de-chlorinator. The stress zyme bottle directed me to add 5 ml for every 10 gallons, so about 25 ml. The de-chlorinator I usually use only calls for 1 ml for every 10 gallons. I thought this was kind of odd, but I added the stress zyme anyway.

Well, today my tank is a bit murky. It almost has a slimy cooking oil look to it. I mean, it's not terrible, but it is noticeable from a distance. I have relatives coming down for the first time this weekend, and I'd like the tank and the fish to be in ship shape.

Is this murkiness from the stress zyme? Should I just do another water change and go back to using de-chlorinator?

Thanks!

My guess is that the murkiness comes from the aloe vera in the Stress Zyme, although I'll tell you I've not used the product myself. I'm pretty sure I've heard about this issue from others that have used it. I'm not a big believer in the extra ingredients in dechlorinators, like the aloe in Stress Zyme that supposedly stimulates fishes' slime coats. I'm betting that it was more expensive than the Top Fin brand, plus as you said more of the product is required to dechlorinate your water.

I wouldn't worry about the cloudiness, but I think you're onto something in your preference of your old dechlorinator. It won't hurt anything though. :)

never run out. one thing to note is the whole chlorine vs chloramine. know what your water company uses. if its chloramine make sure you get one that breaks it down.

img3036027med.jpg

Woah, that's a big bottle. I wouldn't have to restock for years!

lol while it doesnt last me years. i just refill the smaller bottles. prime might cost a little more but 5ml treats 50 gallon. so yes you get less but it goes farther.

I agree, we use Prime and totally think it's the best bang for your buck. With the 120, 75, 20, and 8 FW we're finding out that the medium size bottle doesn't last nearly as long as it used to though! :p

I totally agree, I use Prime as well and a 4l bottle only lasts me 6-8 months with all my tanks and water changes.

you can buy it in larger then 4l bottles. i seen 55 gallon drums marked with prime label. lol

Prime all the way, I'll never use anything else. Question though, what do you use to measure out 1 mL for a 10 gallon change!!?? I always end up using too much but I suppose that's not bad...

i dont have 10 gallon tanks lol for my tanks i empty it out with a python treat the whole tank with prime and add the hose.

Prime all the way, I'll never use anything else. Question though, what do you use to measure out 1 mL for a 10 gallon change!!?? I always end up using too much but I suppose that's not bad...

I use a syringe without a needle. I have a diabetic family member and used one of those since they are very accurate in 0.1 ml increments.

i dont have 10 gallon tanks lol for my tanks i empty it out with a python treat the whole tank with prime and add the hose.
I know, I'm talking a 20% change on a 55 = 10g. I use buckets. When I graduate to bigger tanks I'll think about the python...

I use a syringe without a needle. I have a diabetic family member and used one of those since they are very accurate in 0.1 ml increments.
Good idea...

thats still to much work for me lol if it was mine iw ould just do 50% with a python and call it a day. its so simple. no buckets for me.

Back
Top Bottom