Stressed out fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability

Fish are extremely stressed due to I'm having to do excessive water changes from Nitrate level being really high and treating tank with kordon rid ich (not for ich, but a possible other parasite)

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Ammonia 0
Ph 7.4
Nitrite 0
Nitrate before i did water change 60ppm (have to check again tomorrow)
Tank temp 80

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

The tank is a 55 gallon has been set up 4 years

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Fluval aqua clear 110/70 gph

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

1 juvenile panda garra
1 juvenile calico bristle nose
3 young odessa barbs
1 young neon tetra
2 young glo lite danios
1 young flag fish
1 young bumble bee catfish
3 young red eye tetras
2 adolescent albino tetra
1 adolescent lemon tetra
1 adult zebra tetra
2 juvenile Bueno Aires tetras
1 Harlequin Rasbora _____________________________________

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

3 hours ago (8 pm est), 35% with 40% gravel vacuum, i usually do this weekly but have been doing it daily for the past 5 days while using kordon rid ick, 25-30% weekly is my normal routine, but going to have to do it more frequent cause of the Nitrate level. Still have to put my fish in the advisor site which i don't know how to use.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

There are no new fish in the tank unless 5 months is new and that would be the 3 odessa barbs, i acclimated them by floating the bag in the tank for 30-40 minutes (probably not the correct way to do this)

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

No new decor, use the same dechlorinator (prime), and kordon rid ich

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

I've always fed them cobalt probiotics fish flakes, and blanched zucchini /cucumber every 2 weeks
Have not changed

So i don't know if the stress is from the rid ick treatment, or the excessive water changes.. i see a lot of aggression from my angels and what looks to be twitching from a couple others primarily the red eye tetras and odessa barbs, is there anything i can do to relieve the stress besides leaving the tank alone as i don't have that option right now, i have no choice but to do water changes from rid ich treatment and high nitrates, Any help would be appreciated ty.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If your not treating for ich then why are you using the kordon rid ich? Imo that is going to stress your fish.

Angels are cichlids and cichlids can be aggressive, I believe this is normal for them. *I am not and do not claim to be an angel expert so look for other advice on this*

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Because rid ich isn't just used for ich itself is used for other parasites as well, yes the angels are cichlids but they're more aggressive than normal probably because the female is about to lay eggs

"effective in the control of many diseases of fresh or saltwater fishes caused by external protozoan (single cell) parasites such as white spot disease, Ichthyophthiriasis, Costia, Trichodina, Chilodonella“

But in short i had 3 fish die because i was testing my nitrate wrong it was well over 150 im assuming cause 5 days now of water changes 4 days @ 25% and 1 day @ 35% and it's still at 40 ppm, so I'm assuming the super high Nitrate was the culprit not sure though, think i should of treated with melafix first

But in short i had 3 fish die because i was testing my nitrate wrong it was well over 150 im assuming cause 5 days now of water changes 4 days @ 25% and 1 day @ 35% and it's still at 40 ppm, so I'm assuming the super high Nitrate was the culprit not sure though, think i should of treated with melafix first

Melafix wouldn't have done a thing to help your situation. It's just an antiseptic.

Caleb

Sorry to hear about the tank. What are the signs and symptoms the fish are displaying? Those chemicals are really hard on the fish. I'm not saying it's your case, but sometimes the chemicals are totally overkill.

What type of substrate are you using?

What type of media do you have in the filter?

Is there any chance that you've had a fish die inside a decorative spot that you can't see?

If it were me I'd probably stop treating with chemicals. What are the symptoms?

It just clicked for me. You changed the water params on the fish to fast. The nitrates built up slowly so the fish could acclimate to them. When you did as many pwc's as you did it drastically affected the water chemistry. Im about to pass oit though so it may be wrong

Substrate is standard brown rock, the media in the filter is the ceramic tubes that come with the aqua clear 110, fish seemed like they were okay an hour after i fed them and turned the lights off, the symptoms were the fish would be swimming in one spot and looked like they would twitch here and there, i just woke up so I'm going to go check on them,

it's possible i have an albino tetra that totally dissappeared but i took all the decor or 6 days ago and vacced the gravel

Did you check the floor for the albino tetra? If he died in the tank the other fish may have eaten him.

Yeah i just checked again he's no where to be found, going to stop the rid ich i did 5 days of it i think that's plenty,

I do have a bumblebee catfish i still have to find he hides in the smallest creases but he's so small i don't think he would gunk up the tank that much he's only 1/4 inch long, and he's a hard fish he actually survived in a piece of decor outside of the tank for an hour lol

Im not sure when the tetra came up missing but i haven't seen it for a while, could of been one of the fish that died a while back but i don't think so

Going to have to find a new lfs, i just called them they said don't stop rid ich, told them about the nitrates and they told me they couldn't talk on the phone wtf really

One thing to note that I haven't seen mentioned, in terms of stressed out fish you have multiple fish that honestly require groups of six to feel safe and you have 1-2. Those include the harlequin rasboras, zebra tetra, Buenos a tetra, danios, neon tetras, lemon tetras, Odessa barbs etc.... however you can't complete schools of each without overstocking the tank. Its close to if not overstocked now which is probably contributing to nitrates. I would remove a few groups of schoolers and use the vacant stock to complete the schools of remaining fish. Just a thought.

One thing to note that I haven't seen mentioned, in terms of stressed out fish you have multiple fish that honestly require groups of six to feel safe and you have 1-2. Those include the harlequin rasboras, zebra tetra, Buenos a tetra, danios, neon tetras, lemon tetras, Odessa barbs etc.... however you can't complete schools of each without overstocking the tank. Its close to if not overstocked now which is probably contributing to nitrates. I would remove a few groups of schoolers and use the vacant stock to complete the schools of remaining fish. Just a thought.

+1

Yeah im getting rid of the Bueno Aires they are aggressive, i had 4 rasbora but they died, the zebra tetra they only had 1 that's why i didnt get more and he's one of the oldest fish in the tank, the Bueno Aires are huge which i believe will loosen the load a bit i had 3 neons but they are weak fish due to the genetics so 2 died have 1 left alot of the fish i didnt buy like the bueno Aires they were picked up by my roommate, the lemon as well. I do have to do some cleaning to do but i thing getting rid of the BA tetras will help they are 2 inches long and big

Big +1

Rid ich plus will not kill your BB if used properly.

Nitrate is now about 30-35 ppm, called a lfs way away from me that has 300 reviews at 5 stars they saud stop the rid ich, turn my aeration up cause when fish get sick and water gets out of balance is hard for the fish to breathe, they also said cut the water changes from 25% daily to 10-15 is this correct?

What do you mean BB, bio bed?

Warning: Neon Tetra may become food for Angelfish.
Warning: At least 5 x Buenos Aires Tetra are recommended in a group.
Warning: Buenos Aires Tetra will likely to fin nip Angelfish.
Warning: At least 5 x Lemon Tetra are recommended in a group.
Warning: At least 5 x Red Eye Tetra are recommended in a group.
Warning: Red Eye Tetra will likely to fin nip Angelfish.
Warning: At least 5 x Colombian Tetra are recommended in a group.
Warning: Colombian Tetra will likely to fin nip Angelfish. Try increasing the number to 6.
Warning: At least 5 x Glowlight Danio are recommended in a group.
Warning: At least 5 x Turquoise Rainbowfish are recommended in a group.
Warning: At least 3 x Panda Garra are recommended in a group.
Note: Bristlenose Pleco needs driftwood.
Warning: At least 5 x Odessa Barb are recommended in a group.
Warning: At least 5 x Black Phantom Tetra are recommended in a group.
Warning: Black Phantom Tetra will likely to fin nip Angelfish.
Warning: At least 5 x Harlequin Rasbora are recommended in a group.
Warning: At least 5 x Neon Tetra are recommended in a group.

Warning: At least 3 x American Flagfish are recommended in a group.

Recommended temperature range: 75.2 - 75.2 F. [Display in Celsius]
Recommended pH range: 6.9 - 7.
Recommended hardness range: 6 - 12 dH.

Your aquarium filtration capacity is satisfactory.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 112%
Recommended water change schedule: 37% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 115%

Have no idea what exactly that means. i dont agree with a few of their recommendations, Example: 3 panda garra they would starve 1 cleans my tank so good there wouldn't be any algae left for the others, 4 rainbows i have no idea why that is cause they are non aggressive i did have 5 .. 3 turquoise rainbows and 2 austrailians, 5 BA tetras isnt going to happen as im getting rid of the 2 i have in there right now maybe thats the aggression im seeing, but i honestly dont know how to use that site , it says filter is fine , but im 115% stocked which im assuming meaning im 15% over, and 27% water changes weekly

What do you mean BB, bio bed?

BB means beneficial bacteria.
Warning: Neon Tetra may become food for Angelfish.
Warning: At least 5 x Buenos Aires Tetra are recommended in a group.
Warning: Buenos Aires Tetra will likely to fin nip Angelfish.
Warning: At least 5 x Lemon Tetra are recommended in a group.
Warning: At least 5 x Red Eye Tetra are recommended in a group.
Warning: Red Eye Tetra will likely to fin nip Angelfish.
Warning: At least 5 x Colombian Tetra are recommended in a group.
Warning: Colombian Tetra will likely to fin nip Angelfish. Try increasing the number to 6.
Warning: At least 5 x Glowlight Danio are recommended in a group.
Warning: At least 5 x Turquoise Rainbowfish are recommended in a group.
Warning: At least 3 x Panda Garra are recommended in a group.
Note: Bristlenose Pleco needs driftwood.
Warning: At least 5 x Odessa Barb are recommended in a group.
Warning: At least 5 x Black Phantom Tetra are recommended in a group.
Warning: Black Phantom Tetra will likely to fin nip Angelfish.
Warning: At least 5 x Harlequin Rasbora are recommended in a group.
Warning: At least 5 x Neon Tetra are recommended in a group.

Warning: At least 3 x American Flagfish are recommended in a group.

Recommended temperature range: 75.2 - 75.2 F. [Display in Celsius]
Recommended pH range: 6.9 - 7.
Recommended hardness range: 6 - 12 dH.

Your aquarium filtration capacity is satisfactory.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 112%
Recommended water change schedule: 37% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 115%

Have no idea what exactly that means.

All the warnings are trying to tell you the fish chosen needs to have more of its own kind.

You're a little overstocked but should be better after you remove the BA?

Back
Top Bottom