Striped Raphel Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bailey53189

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I got a Striped Raphel Catfish about a month ago and he always hides in this rock decore i bought and i know there nocturnal and only come out at night, but he will only come out when i have the tank light off and the light in the room that the tanks in off and can only see him if i turn the room light on then he goes right back to hideing within seconds. I'm just worried that hes not getting enough food and dont really know how to feed him or take care of him if anyone has any advice on Striped Raphel Catfish on how i can feed him properly or be able to see him w/ the room light on that would be a huge help!!! thank you!

That's normal for a raphael catfish, they're nocturnal critters and usually invisible by day unless there's no cover available (then they aren't happy.) If he looks too skinny (when you roust him from his hiding spot) just drop in some food after you turn off the lights.

feeding at night is the best bet. the one i have is a pig and soon as food hits the water its out there sucking it all up. what are you feeding it?

I actually lost mine for two years because he was so good at hiding. Now he's sixteen years old and about eight inches long. He'll eat when he's hungry. I feed my fish in the morning usually and the raphael will pull his head out of the sand and inhale some flakes. I think he may also be eating some guppies at night.

Try this: About an hour after the lights go out, use either a red or a really dim flashlight and watch the tank. I'll do it every now and then to watch my cats cruise the tank. During the day, the pictus hides in his cave and the raphael sticks his head in the sand behind a piece of driftwood.

I never see mine either, not even at night! I've had it for almost a year now and have seen it twice, usually when taking the decorations out to clean and not knowing he's in there. But I drop some bottom feeder food in the tank every couple of days and figure that between that and whatever else the other fish doesn't eat, he must be getting enough. Isn't it a bummer to have such a pretty fish and never get to see him? I made a newbie mistake when I bought him (didn't research first) and had no idea he was going to hide all the time.

I really have no clue what im feeding it. Lol But i do put nutrafin max sinking pellets with krill and shrimp meal in there for my other catfish and him and algae wafers for my algae eater. I dont know what hes eating but hes gotta be eating something lol

I never thought about trying the dim flashlight im gunna have to try that lol

Thats probably what he's eating then, bailey. I do the same. The fish in my tank get flakes or pellets, I have snails that get algae wafers and then the sinking pellets and wafers for the Raph, so I figure he gets a nice variety.

Back
Top Bottom