Stuck in a rut.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingforfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm cycling a 10g tank with 2 platy in them. Yesterday I had a .25 ammonia reading, 0 nitrites. I did a 30% water change and it went back into 0 for ammonia. Today there was 0 ammonia..so I did no water change. It's been 3 days like this, 0 ammonia then .25 then 0 after a water change. I feed the platy very lightly because of their bioload--but at the same time I need the ammonia and nitrites to start. I'm very confused at what to do at this point. Should I wait for the ammonia to convert?
I want to do least harm to the fish as possible, because they're a part of my community tank that I'm planning.

Thanks to all!

Yep wait, test, wait, test water change. That's the way it goes. Your doing great and Platys are pretty hardy. What's your total plan stock.

Yep wait, test, wait, test water change. That's the way it goes. Your doing great and Platys are pretty hardy. What's your total plan stock.

Well I was going to do 2 platys, 5 panda cories and a honey gourami, but I think I'm just going to do the platys and the pandas (I need to have the pandas they're just too adorable haha). I already want to upgrade to a 20g but that's really jumping the gun!

So each time there is ammonia I bring it back down to zero, correct? This is the part that kinda confuses me, because if you bring ammonia back down to zero each time, how will nitrites appear? I'm pretty new to the hobby, so sorry if that sounds like a face palm! Lol

Well I was going to do 2 platys, 5 panda cories and a honey gourami, but I think I'm just going to do the platys and the pandas (I need to have the pandas they're just too adorable haha). I already want to upgrade to a 20g but that's really jumping the gun!

So each time there is ammonia I bring it back down to zero, correct? This is the part that kinda confuses me, because if you bring ammonia back down to zero each time, how will nitrites appear? I'm pretty new to the hobby, so sorry if that sounds like a face palm! Lol

Nah, understanble question. It builds up for awhile before you test it so the BB will feed off that. Good plan, an pandas are pretty slow growers so you have time to wait to upgrade

There are always going to be small amounts of ammonia in your system. As long as you can track the levels are rising then your cycle is still working.

Just keep doing what you're doing and the cycle should go swimmingly :fish2:

There are always going to be small amounts of ammonia in your system. As long as you can track the levels are rising then your cycle is still working.

Alright, thanks! I can't wait till it's fully cycled :D

I still test for ammonia almost every day and its always 0.25. I do regular water changes and have some moss balls. My fish look healthy and seem happy. Assume 0.25 ammonia is ok?

Yep. .25 is a safe level for both ammonia and nitrites. I would try to not let it go much above that however.

Back
Top Bottom