Stuck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deuce

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a fresh water 50 gallon bow front and trying to find the perfect balance of fish. I have inherited some fish and mixed it with my own and need advice on what would be recommended to keep and what to pass on.

I have the following fish:
6- Tiger barb
3- Albino tiger barb
6- Red Eyed Balloon Tetra
1- King Beta (male)
1- Gold Gourami 3" (had two but one died a while ago)
2- Cobalt Gourami 1"
2- Flame Gourami 1"
3- Rasbora Scissor fish
1- Freshwater Crab
5 -Assorted small schooling fish (cardinal etc..)
2- Albino Bristle Nose Pleco .5'
2- Chinese Algae eaters
2- Standard Plecos 3.5"

Thx,

Deuce

I have a fresh water 50 gallon bow front and trying to find the perfect balance of fish. I have inherited some fish and mixed it with my own and need advice on what would be recommended to keep and what to pass on.

I have the following fish:
6- Tiger barb
3- Albino tiger barb
6- Red Eyed Balloon Tetra
1- King Beta (male)
1- Gold Gourami 3" (had two but one died a while ago)
2- Cobalt Gourami 1"
2- Flame Gourami 1"
3- Rasbora Scissor fish
1- Freshwater Crab
5 -Assorted small schooling fish (cardinal etc..)
2- Albino Bristle Nose Pleco .5'
2- Chinese Algae eaters
2- Standard Plecos 3.5"

Thx,

Deuce

Okay, I'll just comment on what I know about for sure. First of all, keep an eye on those barbs and the Betta. Nippy fish and bettas sometimes don't mix well. Secondly, what kind of crab is it? Some crabs that are commonly sold as aquatic actually need access to land, or they will drown. Thirdly, I am fairly certain I've heard stories about Chinese Algae Eaters getting mean when they grow up, and killing other fish. Lastly, those common plecos are going to get stunted in the tank. Because of their future size, they really need something around a 125 gallon tank, or they can get stunted, which will kill them. I would recommend rehoming them definitely. However, the bristlenose will be fine, because they normally only reach about 5-6 inches. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks Dakota.

I have heard the same about the chines algae eaters. I am planing to pass on for adoption my regular plecos and chines algae eaters when they reach a certain size and planning on keeping just the recently purchased bristle nose plecos (heard great things about them). As for the crab, don't know the name. The person at the pet store sold it to me a month ago and seems to be doing fine. There were other land/water crabs sold separately.

Okay. Sounds good. And I completely agree that the bristlenoses are amazing. :) I have one, and its awesome. It's in the tank I have in my room at my dad's house, and since I don't go there much, my dad let the water level of the 29 gallon get to about 1/4 of the way full, and the filter quit working because of it. The only fish that survived were 2 of my zebra danios and my bn pleco. I agree, amazing fish. :)

Sounds like too many gouramis. One is probably all you want. As they mature they tend to get territorial.

Back
Top Bottom