Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davewint

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently rehomed alot of fish from my tank, I am wanting to give it a complete decor revamp, can I change all my substrate at one? It's a 75 litre ar510 cheers

Are there any fish left in the tank? If so I'd consider doing 50% now then wait a week and do the other 50%. A lot of Beneficial Bacteria live in the substrate, so changing it all at once may cause a mini-cycle / ammo spike.

If the tank if fishless ... then go for it ... since you want to get fish back in there ASAP for the ammo source.

Either way you'll need to monitor the water parameters.

Yes, most of the beneficial bacteria is housed in the filter. I've done it without any problems.

What substrate are you changing to?

2 x gold rams
1 x blue neon ram
3 x killi fish
That's whats in at the moment, not sure what to change to at the moment I was thinking a more natural look, with plants

IME you can change it all at once, since the majority of the bacteria is in the filter.

After I would monitor water parameters, just to be say. And if there are any spikes do pwc's as needed. However I have never run into this provlem

Back
Top Bottom