such thing as to much filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonnytree23

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon fish tank and I run a aqueon 75 and a marineland 150 is that over doing it???

Okay thanks now having more filteration does that mean the maintenance will possibly go down?

Okay thanks now having more filteration does that mean the maintenance will possibly go down?

More filtration means cleaner water and clearer water BUT nothing replaces a good ole water change IMO. I run 2 AC110's on my 75g and still do weekly water changes.

I have a 55 gallon fish tank and I run a aqueon 75 and a marineland 150 is that over doing it???

Can you have too much filtration? ... No .. The more the merrier. As much 100% Poly-fill as you can stuff the better!

Can you have too many filters running?... Yes ... At some point the excess flow becomes a bit much. A 20gal with an AC-50 at full flow ... manageable ... same tank with an AC-110 at full flow? Love to see some fish and inverts navigate that current.

Can you have too much filtration? ... No .. The more the merrier. As much 100% Poly-fill as you can stuff the better!

Can you have too many filters running?... Yes ... At some point the excess flow becomes a bit much. A 20gal with an AC-50 at full flow ... manageable ... same tank with an AC-110 at full flow? Love to see some fish and inverts navigate that current.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but current is something I am concerned about. I have an AC110 and recently added an AC70 to my 60 gallon 48"x13" and two feet deep top to bottom. would that be too much current? Apologies to the OP for hitching a ride on your thread.

Too Much Filtration?

Hello sonny...

Good question. I think there is such a thing as too much filtration. Filtration doesn't do much to keep the tank water clean. All it can do is take in toxic water and replace it with water that's just a bit less toxic.

If you're in the habit of removing and replacing large amounts of tank water, you don't need heavy filtration, the filter is just turning over water that's already clean. Just get a filter that turns over all the tank water about 4 times per hour and do your water changes. You'll save money on all the extra filters and have it for other aquarium stuff.

The moral of this story is don't rely on mechanical filtration to keep the tank water pure. Only large, weekly water changes can do this.

Just a thought.

B

Hello sonny...

Good question. I think there is such a thing as too much filtration. Filtration doesn't do much to keep the tank water clean. All it can do is take in toxic water and replace it with water that's just a bit less toxic.

If you're in the habit of removing and replacing large amounts of tank water, you don't need heavy filtration, the filter is just turning over water that's already clean. Just get a filter that turns over all the tank water about 4 times per hour and do your water changes. You'll save money on all the extra filters and have it for other aquarium stuff.

The moral of this story is don't rely on mechanical filtration to keep the tank water pure. Only large, weekly water changes can do this.

Just a thought.

B

I should've mentioned I consider PWC's to be a form of filtration (by replacement) which is why I say you can't have enough. Yep ... relying too heavily on filters can be a big pitfall .. eventually it just circulates the same water that can only get more polluted with time.

Bottom line here is we're pretty much ALL saying the same thing. Although re reading the thread I feel like we're going back and forth. We all agree that nothing replaces a "good ole water change"

But having the added filtration will help and I don't think it's a waste of money.

Okay thanks guys I still do my weekly water changes every sat-sunday fish are great just thought more filteration would be better for my oscar because there messy fish..

I have a heavily planted 30g Amazonian biotope with a Fluval 206 cannister. I love it. I wanted extra biological media so I got an Aquaclear 50 HOB. Put in Fluval water polishing pads and lots of ceramic bio block/beads. No charcoal to suck up my ferts. To keep the flow from being to disruptive to the fish, I put a 3/8" rubber cone faucet washer in the tube that inlets the water. The smaller hole in the center slowed the flow and as a result increased the water's contact time to the biobeads. It has enough flow as to not damage the impellor or make any noise. This let me cheat a little on stocking. I still faithfully do a 33% water change weekly.
Caudially, OS.

Zebra danios may love this!!

More filtration means cleaner water and clearer water BUT nothing replaces a good ole water change IMO. I run 2 AC110's on my 75g and still do weekly water changes.

I agree 200% with Con's assesment here...(y)

Also, there is no such thing as "too much filtration" IMO, as I run an AquaClear 110 and an Aqueon QuietFlow 55 good for over 800 gallons per hour total on a 60 gallon...:blink:(y)(y)

Oh, and yes it makes a difference, as well, what species you are keeping -- for instance, goldfish and, perhaps as was mentioned, Oscars, require a great deal of filtration so over-filtering is never an issue in these circumstances...(y)

Back
Top Bottom